Logo

50HP 1972 now will not go into gear

jbreed

The boat runs great but the motor would shut down as soon as I put in into neutral. Adjusted the idle and it ran awesome, forward, pop into neutral and it would idle. Then I tried reverse. No problem, put it back in neutral and now will no go into gear, forward or reverse. It has a Hyro-electrc control.What broke? any ideas?

When the motor is NOT running it should go to forward.-------If it does not then either the shift piston is stuck inside the lower unit or possible problems with driveshaft or splines on driveshaft.--------How long have you owned the motor ?

Have you had a look at the lower unit oil? It's condition is very important to the proper operation of the Hydro-Electric shift. Be sure to use the correct oil in it, OMC Premium Blend. It does not use standard Marine Lower Unit Oil!!

Follow racerone's suggestions and you will get down to the real problem.

I have a 1971 Johnson Hydro-Electric shift and really like it. I change the oil twice a year.
Bill

I maybe too late, apologize for taking so long to respond. When not running I'm assuming it is in forward as the prop does not move. Researched on this great site & plan to check elect power terminals in each gear this weekend.

Changed gear oil prior to winter but have not since. Plan to do that as well to ck its condition.

Talked to a marina & they want nothing to do with it. Hopefully it's a simple problem I can figure out or no more boat.

I really appreciate any/all ideas.
John

Have you had a look at the lower unit oil? It's condition is very important to the proper operation of the Hydro-Electric shift. Be sure to use the correct oil in it, OMC Premium Blend. It does not use standard Marine Lower Unit Oil!!

Follow racerone's suggestions and you will get down to the real problem.

I have a 1971 Johnson Hydro-Electric shift and really like it. I change the oil twice a year.
Bill

For forward there is no power to the shift wires.----For nuetral there is power to green wire.------For reverse there is power to both wires green and blue.-------Motor must be running in order to shift.

Exactly what I was going to check, along with checking condition of oil. Do I make these voltage checks at the term board on engine or somewhere else?

Found a service manual online but diagrams real hard to make out.

For forward there is no power to the shift wires.----For nuetral there is power to green wire.------For reverse there is power to both wires green and blue.-------Motor must be running in order to shift.

You can do it where the wires are connected near the power head. Just slip the rubber boots off and check to ground. You can also disconnect them and apply 12vdc to the wires to see if it shifts. If it shifts ok then the solenoids should be ok. Again the motor must be spinning to shift it.

Just Repeating what everyone else has posted here:
If in neutral there should be 12vdc on the GREEN wire and in REVERSE 12vdc on both wires. In FORWARD you should not see any voltage on either wire. If this checks out as you move the control through Neutral, Forward and Reverse the shift switch should be ok.
Bill

Ok Bill, I'm mechanically inclined, but mostly on vehicles, first boat motor for me. Can you give me clarification on "power head"? sorry not sure what that is. I have a muff & plan to run the motor as I make my checks
You can do it where the wires are connected near the power head. Just slip the rubber boots off and check to ground. You can also disconnect them and apply 12vdc to the wires to see if it shifts. If it shifts ok then the solenoids should be ok. Again the motor must be spinning to shift it.

Just Repeating what everyone else has posted here:
If in neutral there should be 12vdc on the GREEN wire and in REVERSE 12vdc on both wires. In FORWARD you should not see any voltage on either wire. If this checks out as you move the control through Neutral, Forward and Reverse the shift switch should be ok.
Bill

Thanks so much for your help Bill It was the shift sw in the controller that crapped out. Searched everywhere & only can find it for $310.00 on Marineegine.com. Nope not going to pay that$.

Going to post another in hopes I can find a controller or cheaper solution. Really do not want to wire a manual sw if I can help it.

John

is the motor (engine block).

The wires are near the starting solenoid on mine.
Bill[/QUOTE]

Back