Logo

Johnson 225 (1988)

Tammy

Hi I'm new here and have a problem, I have a 225 Johnson ( 1988) and we keep getting a alarm for low oil yet we have plenty of oil and we can see the oil rise and drop in the oil line. Help please

Describe the warning you're receiving.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Hmmm....something's wrong all around here.....

Per Joe's advice, verify that the alarm you are hearing is actually an oil alarm.
Then...if it is....

First off, the oil line is supposed to be solid rubber, black, like fuel line, with a squeeze bulb near the tank.
How can you see the oil rise and drop?

Secondly, the oil line must be purged of ALL air. You are seeing it "rise and drop".

My recommendation is to get the proper replacement oil line from your BRP dealer, with squeeze bulb, install.
When installing, the last connection you should make will be to the VRO pump oil inlet. You must pump the bulb until the oil flows from the line,
and then attach it to the pump. No leaks allowed!!!

Also, I would absolutely run your gas with TCW-3 oil pre-mixed until you are absolutely sure your oiling system is working.

Get it all back together, mark the side of the tank with a Sharpie, run the boat, and verify that the oil level is dropping. Calculate how much oil you are using from the tank per the amount of gas consumed. If you run out 12 gallons of gas, the tank should drop about 1 quart, for example.

You are playing with a failure that could cost you the engine.....proceed carefully.

When installing a new oil line, VRO, interrupting the oil flow somehow via dismantling/installing repair work................

(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back