Logo

TAMD41B oil filter housing, oil leak and piston cooling valve operation?

fincavok

Hi,

I have an 1991 model Volvo Penta TAMD41B (with HS1A gear), which developed an oil leak into the bilge. After a lot of investigation, I traced the leak into the oil filter housing - picture here: http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7745920-21-20502.aspx

More precisely, the oil was leaking from the piston cooling valve, which is on the aft side of the housing. The oil was dripping from between the cover (8) and the housing (1) itself. There was white sealant in between and it had started to wear off. What made it difficult to find is that the oil dripped onto the oil pan gasket, and on it aftwards and only dripped to the bilge on the rear part of the engine.

Accessing the location was very difficult (I could only access it while laying on the motor, only with my left hand and it in an awkward position - at the same time could not see it properly without taking my hand away).

Anyway, I managed to remove the cover and install a new cover (8) and new O-ring (7) and fasten the cover with new flange screws. This took some 4-5 hours in total. Only after finishing this, did I realize that there had been no sleeve (5 in the picture) visible when I had it open. The spring (4) just protruded out of the housing (1) "hole" and I attached the cover so that the spring centered nicely directly on the cover. I went through all of
my oil pads etc and the whole bilge, but could not find the sleeve (5) anywhere. This makes me think that either a) there was no sleeve in the first place, or b) the sleeve is in the housing, on the other (inner) end of the spring (4). Third option could be, that it would be loose in the housing, but at least it did not catch my eye and more likely it would have dropped to the bilge than stayed within the housing.

I don´t really understand the exploded view, is the sleeve supposed to be between the spring and the cover, or can it be at the "inner" end of the spring attached to the valve seat (2)?

The main question is, if there was no sleeve installed in the first place and there still isn´t - what does this mean in regard the piston cooling valve operation? Quoting the engine workshop manual: "The piston cooling valve regulates the flow of oil to piston cooling. The valve is closed at oil pressures below 2.5 kPa. When the engine is started and idled the valve is closed. This stops the pistons being cooled unnecessarily".

Assuming I am missing the "sleeve" (5) from the installation now (and maybe before as well), could it mean that the pistons are not cooled properly?

Or just that they may be cooled also at low oil pressures, which does not sound too harmful?

Secondary question is that as I mentioned in the beginning, there was white sealant between the cover and the housing. I did not add any sealant now to the new installation, firstly because it was so difficult to attach the cover in place pushing against the protruding spring with just my left hand without proper visibility, and secondly because there was no sealant mentioned in the marinepartseurope "exploded view". Unfortunately I could not find anything in the workshop manual about deassembling and assembling the oil filter housing. Does anyone know if there should be sealant in between? The new installation seemed to hold the oil inside atleast during my first two ~15 minute test runs (RPMs up to 3000), but will it start leaking at some point?

Anyway, I´m not going to open it again myself, but if you think that either the pistons won´t be cooled properly without the sleeve or it will start leaking without sealant in the near future, I will need to have the boat & engine lifted at a shop and it will cost at least 1000-2000EUR and most likely the boat will be out of use for at least a week. I just would not like to do it in the middle of the best boating season and my vacation...

Sorry for the long description, but I tried to be as precise as possible - I´m more than grateful for any information you can provide!

Lasse

Hi,

Just as an update, I found out from another forum and from the local engine shop:

- there's supposed to be no sealant between the housing and cover (the old sealant was the reason for the oil leak on my engine)
- my "reconstruction" seems to be fine - the spring goes straight into the cover and my oil pressure readings are logical on various RPMs
- I've ran the engine for about 20-30 hours since previous post with no further problems
- I found out that it would actually be pretty easy to detach the whole oil filter housing from the engine, it would have been much easier to fix the leak that way (however I'm not sure if there would have been enough space to actually take the housing out from my engine compartment)

Lasse

Back