Logo

Smokey Motor

jasonmac23

Hi all! I'm new here and I am fairly new to the outboard motor world as well, although I am not new to working on stuff myself, nor am I afraid to dig into a project. Up till now I've always had inboard ski boats.
Background: I recently bought an '84 Harris Pontoon wit an '84 Chrysler 45hp on it. I have taken the lower unit completely down and replaced all of the seals and installed new impeller. Now that I have put the lower unit back on the motor and ran it I've noticed a ton of white smoke coming out of the motor. Now I do also know, from seeing first hand. That the cylinder gasket is leaking, along with the exhaust plate gaskets. So I know this can cause water to get into the cylinders causing smoke. I also know that improper gas mixture can cause that as well, once I get new gaskets put in I am going to check my fuel ratio and give it a fresh mix. But my question is, when I put the new impeller in, which was the proper impeller for this motor going by part # like for like, it only fit by curving the fins back in the opposite direction of rotation. Is that normal? I was under the impression that it would fit to where the fins would come out flush to the inside of the pump housing?? So could it be too tight of a fit with the impeller that is causing the smoking as well?

If the blades of the impeller didn't bend as you installed it, it wouldn't pump water.

Smoking out of the water is normal.
Once you run it at speed it clears up the excess oil/ gas and will not smoke as much.

Thanks Jerryjerry05 for the input! I was sort of wondering if that would be the case, was just looking for some reassurance, as I said, I'm new to the outboard world.

Back