Logo

Can a 4 cylinder engine be safely started with one bolt in the starter?

Checkov

Hi all,

2years ago I bought a Rinker with a OMC 4 cylinder engine and used it with out problems about 12 times.

last summer it would not start and I determined the starter was bad. When replacing the starter I found that some sneaky previous owner had broken off one of the mounting bolts and glued the bolt head back on to make it look whole. There is only about 3 inches of space so its impossible to drill out the broken bolt and tap and rethread with out removing the engine and spending $$$.

I have been told it is extremely risky to start it with one bolt as the torque can crack the block. On the other hand I unknowingly used it for an entire year, and I'm sure the owner before me for several years, without harm. So who is right ?

can one start a 4 cylinder safely with 1 mounting Bolt in the starter?

thanks for any advice.
checkov

Last edited:
There is a wise phrase that goes like this:

"If you do not have the time to make a proper repair now....... when will you find the time to make a more complicated repair later?"

.... or sump'n like that! :)

I think that you've been lucky..... and have been on borrowed time.
If you break the flange on the engine… you'll be wishing that you would have pulled the engine and fixed it correctly!

Last edited:
Thanks, not what I wanted to hear but probably sound advice.

There is a wise phrase that goes like this:

"If you do not have the time to make a proper repair now....... when will you find the time to make a more complicated repair later?"

.... or sump'n like that! :)

I think that you've been lucky..... and have been on borrowed time.
If you break the flange on the engine… you'll be wishing that you would have pulled the engine and fixed it correctly!

Ayuh,..... Pull the motor, 'n fix it Right, or pull the motor later, 'n replace the motor, as well as the starter,.....

I had the unfortunate experience of finding my starter lying in the bilge, on the lake, with two broken bolts lying there too.
Pull the motor and fix it right. What I also learned is that my OMC had sort of a reinforcing bracket that tied the starter to the block. Mine was missing and probably led to the starter bolts breaking

Back