Logo

Trim limit switch woes...

Bigfoot1979

First post here! Anyway I have been working almost a year on my 1995 Celebrity 190BR 4.3 Merc, I rebuilt the engine and outdrive, anyway I put the outdrive on last night and went through the procedure of adjusting my trim sender and trim limit senders, I bought brand new Sierra senders, I placed the outdrive all the way down installed the senders and adjusted the gauge sender till the needle was buried down (not very much movement flicks down or all the way up!?) went to set the trim limit and when i turn the sender it does not adjust the cylinders out?? I have tried and re-tried several times and I am at my wits end I have pulled them off and made sure the little marks are lined up when I installed them and they are correct, what else could I be missing!?? I can trim the outdrive up and down perfect it just never stops??? Could the trim limit switch be bad? anyway to test it? I have a Mercruiser manual but did not see anything else pertaining to testing the actual sender. I would be grateful for any help!! Thanks, Dave

I really don't know as I bought this boat as a project (Ive never even had it in the water yet!) I plugged the two bullet connectors into the pump there are 2 blue wires on one and a purple wire on the other (believe its purple lol) It all looks factory and not hacked, where else could they have bypassed it? (I would not think it would have been though as this was a DNR boat)

Yes, I have the trim limit on the port side and the trim sender on starboard. Also the trim limit wires were both bullet connector male ends where they plugged into the pump wiring and the trim sender had one male and one female end where they plugged into the main wiring harness.

Well, I looked at a diagram of the trim in handle controller and trailer switch separate diagram. I was trying to find more info on what wire controlled the "trim up" vs. "trailer" coming from the controller, I found several places stating that the purple/white wire goes from the trim up switch and the blue wire comes from the trailer switch. The trim up switch will raise the outdrive with the trim limit switch disconnected from the pump and the trailer switch works as well, SO I have a feeling my problem lies in the controller wiring, its a Quicksilver 3000 unit.

Just got home and traced the purple wire from the pump all the way to the controls I found it cut and a white wire tied into it.. There were a total of about 8 wires coming out of the controller, I had a red, white and blue wire in one group (this is the white wire the purple was tied into) then the others were green,blue,red then lastly two purple/white wires going forward in the harness towards the dash.. anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for this Quicksilver 3000 controller?? I have found plenty of breakdowns of the unit but none of where the wires are suppose to go.

EDIT.. With the white wire taken off the purple wire that was spliced the trim up button will not work (down button works though), only the trailer button will bring the drive up. looks like I will be taking this thing apart.

Last edited:
Pulled the controls apart and found the break in the wire to the trim up. replaced all three wires and while it trims up now on the switch it still wont stop on the trim up limit switch... I am still trying to figure where the white wire goes off the QS 3000 controller, I have searched the internet all night.

The white wire had 12v power on trim up so I see why they bypassed it right there since the wires in the controller handle were broke on the "up" switch. I messed with it all morning and finally got the trim limit function working, turns out the marks that are suppose to be lined up when the switch is installed on the gimbal bousing were WAY off when the switch was put together from the factory.. Finally and much trial and error the outdrive stops at 20 3/4"

Back