Logo

Port stalling

kcdbrian

Ran into an issue - Port engine running fine for 15-20 minutes cruising at 3000rpm. Bring power back down for no-wake zone to 1000rpm and engine stalls. Fires right back up fine, runs for a few minutes then stalls again. Looking at the volt meter, it's reading 14 volts when I left the dock, but just 12 volts when I go to restart after the stalling. After restarting a few times - I could no longer crank it over due to low voltage. Any ideas? Could the stalling and low voltage be the same issue? I replaced the coil thinking it would help, but it didn't.

IMO, Sounds to me it's trying to run on battery voltage, which would indicate a charging problem.

I'd start by checking the battery first. Recharge it fully. Load test it to make sure you don't have a dead cell.

Check all electrical connections and terminals for corrosion and tightness. Check wires for any insulator being chaffed due to rubbing.

Will it run at low rpm with a fully charged battery?

My port did the same thing last year. It was the battery. Junk floating in the bottom of the battery would intermittently short out a few cells and stall the motor. New battery and the problem went away. I figured it out when it stalled, I looked at my charger monitoring panel and the amps that were normally less than 5 were at 40+.

Ran into an issue - Port engine running fine for 15-20 minutes cruising at 3000rpm. Bring power back down for no-wake zone to 1000rpm and engine stalls. Fires right back up fine, runs for a few minutes then stalls again. Looking at the volt meter, it's reading 14 volts when I left the dock, but just 12 volts when I go to restart after the stalling. After restarting a few times - I could no longer crank it over due to low voltage. Any ideas? Could the stalling and low voltage be the same issue? I replaced the coil thinking it would help, but it didn't.
ck your fuel filter i have had same problem

Back