Logo

1975 evinrude 135hp clutch dog flip in progress

Progator135

Regular Contributor
Well had the usual slipping out of gear issue, shift cable adjusted to no avail so pulled lower unit apart and sure enough clutch dog teeth rounded. As is my usual luck, my particular clutch dog was the most expensive one on the planet so I took very precise measurements, and I saw no reason whatsoever that it couldn't be flipped. I dressed what was the reverse drive teeth (were in good shape to start with)to a nice flat, slightly undercut, surface, and went ahead and dressed the old forward drive teeth flat as well. but they were so bad only slightly more than half the tooth remained of each one. So I feel better about that only driving reverse. Anyway all is back together and waiting for a test. So far everything is working great on the muffs. I know all the lectures Im about to receive about losing the hardening and the risks involved. If it lasts a year or two then Im happy. Ill be saving up for a new dog and gear set (no less than $600 that ive found)Just thought Id share in case someone had the same motor and their clutch dog went out. that as far as I can tell so far it is reversible. And if done properly may save you lots of money in a pinch. Ill post updates after the lake test Friday evening.

The clutch shifter dog has a sort of hidden feature to it whereas the forward lobes have a somewhat slightly tapered design (keeping it simple) to grab those forward gear lobes. Even a brand new dog installed backwards would be jumping out of forward gear within a very short time.

You may have noticed that there is a groove around one end of the shifter dog... that groove must face the propeller end of the shaft.

Hopefully your experiment works out for you. However, should you encounter a problem within a short time, the above would be the cause.

WOW!!! I wonder how many combined years of outboard experience just shot that one down. Progator, I think I'd take the word of those three.

He has posted elsewhere about grinding / fitting the cogs on the reverse side.----------You can not blame a fellow considering the cost of a new one.-----However there are likely lots of good used one available.

Yes yes..I know its a risky move...Im going against the grain as usual. I have no huge expectations as to the longevity. my main usage is short runs (<10 min)on a local lake just to get to the fishing holes. No pulling tubes or hot rodding it on long runs across the sea. Jreeves I saw that groove. that was the only difference in the two sides. (Any particular reason for that groove? or is it just to let you know its going on the right way.) everything else measured spot on. I did grind a very slight undercut on the teeth. On the dog and the fwd drive gear. took my time, ground slowly as not to build excessive heat. they feel like they mesh very well, all three contact at the same time, that was a big concern to me when grinding them. If I keeps the RPMs low and snap it in quick it should last a little while anyway,as long as it gets me to the fish for the summer. I plan on continuing the hunt for a new dog (and drive gear) at a reasonable price.

Jreeves I saw that groove. that was the only difference in the two sides. (Any particular reason for that groove? or is it just to let you know its going on the right way.)

That's it... just to let one know which end goes which way (groove towards prop). Short runs as you state may have you trouble free for some time, I wish you luck. Let us know later on how it works out for you.

A dealer can not do this custom work !---------------Might affect their reputation / lose money if it goes wrong .----You at home can spend hours experimenting , so go for it.

I wish you luck. Let us know later on how it works out for you.

That's a "let us know when it dumps 10,000 pieces of steel, aluminum and gear oil in the lake" if I ever heard it..:D haha seriously, thanks for the words of caution. Ill be keeping you posted.

So far so good...went fishing Saturday and went back and forth to the usual spots all within 2-3 miles of the launch. Not a slip one. Embarrassed to admit but even survived when the prop kissed the boat ramp while putting on the trailer. Hey new boat, new trailering techniques, some just get learned the hard way...:eek:.

Yes sir as wide open as I could get. Im only hitting about 4800 RPMs. But a 16' bass boat with that motor was moving along pretty quick. Only about 2-3 minutes at a time. Louisiana lakes don't give you lots of running room. Still don't think Im firing on all cylinders..(wife's been telling me that for years). New coils on the way. But clutch dog stayed locked up the whole time, not one slip.

That model hits its horsepower at 5000 rpm.
Cruising range is between 4500-5500 rpm so you're pretty close.

And yeah... a 16' bass boat would be moving on pretty good at 4800 rpm. Sounds like you did good on that machine work.

yeah well...You can put a cat in the oven but that don't mean he's a biscuit. One successful trip hasn't really built a lot of confidence. I know it'll wear over time. And I feel good about my close-by fishing lake,(and the fact my cousin lives ON the lake right by the launch with a 'rescue' boat at the ready) But if called up to go to the Red River and run about 10+ miles one way to the crappie holes I may start to sweat a little. Time will tell....thanks for the kind words.

Back