Logo

How hot can Honda BF60 run..?

Jussia

Hello,
I own 2014 model Honda BF60 -motor. It´s connected to Lowrance plotter, which displays also data from BF60 (rpm, hours, trim, temperature,..). I used to drive Honda BF50 without this motor-information, and I´m now wondering some of the data. Information causes pain.. So, there is a motor temperature -info, and according to it, the motor runs pretty hot: after 30 minutes on drive (4500 -4800 rpm) temperature reaches 120 (celsius) degrees. It stays there, and no warning sound from over heatin is heard, but I feel that it´s too high. Where temperature is measured? Coolingwater? Oil? Engine surface temperature? How hot can it safely run? Seawatyer temperature is know anout 20 celsius degreeds.

Jussi
Finland

Thermostat opens at 58 to 62 C (136 - 144 F)
It is fully open at 70 c or 158 F.

That should be about the temperature that you should see.

The thermostat is in the head.

If you have a infrared heat sensor, you could see what the temperature is around the thermostat.

Could the setting on the Lowrance for temperature need resetting?

Mike

Thank's Mike! Your thoughts are consolating and propably right too, Lowrances scale might be wrong. I guess that overheat warningsound should alarm if temperature actually reaches that high. I'll try to calibrate my Lowrance HDS device, any hint's for that..?

Jussi

I do not have any experience with that device. Most of our customers in the midwest have simple needs and do not care for all of that info. The fire, police and Natural Resource departments would like it but do not have the budgets for it.

Contact Lowrance directly and they may help you through the settings. I know they do in the USA. Not knowing where in the world you are, check out their website http://www.lowrance.com/en/

Choose your region, go to support, then contact support. In the US, there is a phone number or email way to contact.

Also, hopefully, one of the guys or gals that do have experience with it will jump in.

Mike

I'm having the same issue Jussia.

BF60 done 140hrs.

Engine temp warning alarm came on while I was out running. Went through a thick patch of sea grass floating about and it wrapped around the bottom end. Shortly after engine overheat audible alarm came on (unless there is a water flow sensor that sets off the same alarm?).

As I have a Lowrance HDS I check the temp and it showed 113C.

After a while I started her up and off we went again. Alarm never went off but temp staying around 110-115 at 4800rpm. When I got back out I took the thermostat out and tested it. Working sweet. Tested water pump, no probs.

Took her out again with a laser temp tester. Got engine up to 110 on the HDS then tested it with the gun, 60degC. Water coming out of the pee pipe was only warm.

So I'm thinking its the HDS.

Did you ever solve that? I cant find any info on how to calibrate it.

It's either that of the temp sensor part 26 on this diagram http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...d Later/BF60AK1 XRTA/CYLINDER HEAD/parts.html

Maybe it has deposits on it or is faulty.

I would have tought if the engine was running that hot the audible would come on and it would stop. It doesnt even smell hot.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Also. I found an output from the Honda via the Lowrance that says water pressure (think it is in kPa). What would that normally read and what exactly is it?

Hello.
I also have a Honda BF60
After checking with Honda's workshop it turns out that it is correct that the temperature shows up to 125 degrees Celsius at 6000 rpm. It is not the cooling water temperature that is detected but the temperature at the cylinder. The temperature will also vary with the rpm.

Hello.
I also have a Honda BF60
After checking with Honda's workshop it turns out that it is correct that the temperature shows up to 125 degrees Celsius at 6000 rpm. It is not the cooling water temperature that is detected but the temperature at the cylinder. The temperature will also vary with the rpm.

Good info.

Someone should pass this on to Honda New Zealand because they couldn't tell me this. Pretty hopeless really being the importers. Not impressed with Honda Marine NZ.

My next outboard will be a Yamaha for sure based on my previous poor service from Honda in NZ.

Hi
I can confirm that the Honda BF60 runs at 125 Degrees C at 6000 RPM. I can also confirm the temperature varies with RPM & will post a set of measurements made this year on my boat. I am interested to know what/who you mean by "Honda's workshop".

Hi
I can confirm that the Honda BF60 runs at 125 Degrees C at 6000 RPM. I can also confirm the temperature varies with RPM & will post a set of measurements made this year on my boat. I am interested to know what/who you mean by "Honda's workshop".

Hello.
With Honda Workshop I mean the importer of Honda. It may seem that this reading is not the way it should but the engine has the correct temperature as long as there is no alarm. I have contacted Honda again and wil inform you if new infomation is coming up.

Svein

I'm having a related issue so I'm posting/asking here instead of starting a new topic. I too have a pair of BF60s. Running them at around 5,000 RPM today one went into "Power Reduction Mode" (RPM dropped to near idle, visual text warning via NMEA 2000 on plotter). When this has happened before I hook up a hose and flush the motor out and the problem goes away. But today when I hook up the hose and turn it on I'm not getting any water coming out. Impeller is 1 year old with less than 100 hours on it. Both engines won't flush (only one is giving error codes). Tell tales are flowing strong.

Hello.
I have been contacted by the Honda dealer in Norway, and they tell me that the temperature shown on the instrument is the oil temperature. This is the factory layout of Honda Europe, but they are now createing a new software that changes this to show the water temperature. Once the software is approved, you can update your engine to a Honda dealer.

Might be safer to know that oil temperature, its the number that will tell you when your block is overheating. My VW 2015 car gives a temperature for the oil, it runs around 95-100C.

I find certain poppet valve springs almost have the same tension as cylinder head valve springs , wot i do is change the poppet valve spring to a lesser tension one make sure if you do it that it is stainless steel . motors run cooler at higher RPM

Back