Logo

Muffs or inline flush?

grey2112

Contributing Member
Since I've owned my BF250 I have always flushed with fresh water using muffs. The other night I got in too late and didn't want to wake up the neighbors so I used the inline water flush. Is either way the preferred way to do it? Any pros/cons? I read where the t-stats don't open up for a proper flushing if you don't run the engine with muffs on.

the best flushing is recommended by honda is use flushing port at the side of the engine, use good pressure water.and don't start the engine. till water come out from the pilot hole, and from bottom.it better to do after every use.

if you are using muffs should start the engine,because water will not reach to top unless water pump pressured it.

wajira

Follow your owner's manual. Do not start the engine when flushing using the flush port. It can damage the engine.

Mike

The issue gets down to wether or not the flush port will completely flush or not, due to a thermostat probably not opening on cold water via a hose connection.

Any thoughts?

It is my understanding that using the flush port actually reverses the normal flow of cooling water from the onboard water pump. If that is true, then using the flushing port should open the thermostats by putting pressure on the thermostat seal plate from the side opposite the heat spring.

That is also the reason that you should not run the engine while using the flush port.

yes while flushing from through flushing port thermostats are remain close. but if you trace the water supply.its from left side exhaust manifold to right side exhaust manifold,so good pressure water will pass all through engine head and block.even go to under case. i think only the small two passage will not get water that is after thermostat the top part of inside exhaust manifold, but if water pressure is good,water can reach their also.

so flushing port is better way to flush the engine, ( Engine Should not start )

wajira

I suppose with the backwards flow and at least a 40lb pressure through my garden hose, then adding some Salt-Away would really do the trick-----long term.

water lines.jpg this is the water passages,when flushing water flow(blue) and red arrow i try to show is that after thermostat,i think that path is not getting water while do flushing,because of thermostat,and i don't think so water pressure can open it.those both passage is small part in the exhaust manifold, but if you see in the in the engine small two pipes connect to exhaust manifold, through those pipes flush water can reach to that two passage. I think flushing is enough sufficient to clean the water passages.

Very interesting. That seems to explain why we often get corrosion all around the thermostat housing - it doesn't flush it out. Is that correct?

yes i think so, flushing water cant open thermostats,that for sure. so seems to be after thermostat flushing water cant reach.and no other way to water can reach that place.but as soon as stop the engine and do the flushing, water can flush thermostat and other part also but practically that wont happening.

So it appears that the only true way to thoroughly flush every part that needs flushing is to put muffs on or put it in a barrel, correct?

Yes you are correct,run the engine in barrel is best for dry birth users,but most of them they park boats in the marina they have only one choice,Use the flushing port and Don't start the engine,

Well there's always more than one choice! HaHa! This may be the wrong way, but I flush after EVERY use while dockside in salt water w/muffs & engine tilted all the way up & running. Is this bad? Sure is a Pain In The Xss! I posted a similar question a week before this one & am just now getting back to the site. I would really like to know the best way given my situation. Muffs w/engine ON or Flush port w/engine OFF?? Thank you CHAWK MAN $ WAJIRA for sharing your knowledge, much appreciated!!

Back