Logo

Please help need help before purchasing a salvage boat!

RBCC

I'm thinking about buying a wooden salvage boat. But I'd like to know a little about it before I buy. Several questions keep popping into my head.
(1) should I expect it to float?
(1a) what will it take to fix it so it will float?
(2) Are most salvaged boats yachts?
(2a) is it possible to find a salvaged boat that has a hp rating of 180 horsepower?
(2b) is it possible to find one that doesn't need a lot of work?

John

What do you mean by salvage? Sunken, abandoned, etc. etc. Most salvage boats are far more trouble than they are worth unless there is a compelling reason for a restoration, like historical, old classics, or a family treasure.

Two key issues - the boat and the power plant. If it's a recovered sunken boat, write off the power plant altogether unless you want to do a complete and total re-build from the crank shaft up or put in a new motor.

Second issue - what kind of shape is the wood in? Not only the hull planks, but everything underneath - beam, stringers, etc.

Read, read, read, before you buy just to make sure you know what you're getting into. I did it once. Never again.

''is it possible to find one that doesn't need a lot of work?'' no...a new boat and motor requires a lot of attention...its the nature of the beast....if you use them often its a lot of work..if you dont use them they really go to hell..but everyone should do it at least once....there nothing like letting your house and everything else go to pot while you spend all your time and money doing it..excellent test of a marriage btw...

I'm thinking about buying a wooden salvage boat. But I'd like to know a little about it before I buy. Several questions keep popping into my head.
(1) should I expect it to float?
(1a) what will it take to fix it so it will float?
(2) Are most salvaged boats yachts?
(2a) is it possible to find a salvaged boat that has a hp rating of 180 horsepower?
(2b) is it possible to find one that doesn't need a lot of work?

John

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Just by the nature of yer questions, I can tell ya, restorin' boats ain't for You,....

Back