Logo

jdoty47

jdoty47

Hi, new here. I have a 2005 Tohatsu 18hp 4 stroke. When I had it winterized last year the dealer rebuilt the carb, replaced a starter solinoild, and fuel line. The first time I took it out it was hard to start, and sputtered when giving it throttle. This weekend took it out was hard to start and as soon as you put in gear it would sputter and shut off, never did to get it to run. Any ideas? Thanks

I never understood the logic in cleaning a carb for winterizing it. you run it after to test it so the gas may not be completely drained and allow it to cause issues sitting there for so long.

its best to do a carb cleaning after winter when you are getting I ready for use.

is suspect, as I mentioned above, the carb needs cleaning again because stale gas has formed sludge in it over winter.

ps - in the future, the post title should be a short description of the problem you are having so others can look at it if they might know something about it.

Agreed completely.

I never understood the logic in cleaning a carb for winterizing it. you run it after to test it so the gas may not be completely drained and allow it to cause issues sitting there for so long.

its best to do a carb cleaning after winter when you are getting I ready for use.

is suspect, as I mentioned above, the carb needs cleaning again because stale gas has formed sludge in it over winter.

ps - in the future, the post title should be a short description of the problem you are having so others can look at it if they might know something about it.

Please also verify oil level on the stick. 1/2 to 3/4 is fine. Not a drop over full, ever.

Back