Logo

Staling problems /after 2 hours of use

turbot660

I have a 1984 Wellcraft 196 with a 5.7 liter we have taking it out four times after we use it for a couple of hours it goes into a staling fit and shuters if bring it back to netrual it stalls out and wont start right away if you let it set or load it on the trailer and go home it starts right up after awhile thought it was fuel problems changed fuel pump,filter and line gas tank looks fine and added lucas fuel treatment and then changed condenser points look fine moved the dwell down to recomended settings just changed coil but haven't tested that yet would like any other ideas that it might be Thanks

I have a 1984 Wellcraft 196 with a 5.7 liter we have taking it out four times after we use it for a couple of hours it goes into a staling fit and shuters if bring it back to netrual it stalls out and wont start right away if you let it set or load it on the trailer and go home it starts right up after awhile thought it was fuel problems changed fuel pump,filter and line gas tank looks fine and added lucas fuel treatment and then changed condenser points look fine moved the dwell down to recomended settings just changed coil but haven't tested that yet would like any other ideas that it might be Thanks

my vote is for the coil, when they get hot this is how they act

It could be a coil, if you take an ohm meter with you next time your out, you can prove it either way. Have you changed the water fuel separator this season...if it has one?

I changed the coil and then cleaned the carb and added a new needle and seat this boat runs great for the first of the day but goes into a miss fire and then stalls out sometimes it starts right back up if you let it set for awhile would a new coil run hot if it was setting on top of motor I put it where It was bolted before but today when it stalled out it was really warm

i had installed tow sierra marine replacement coils, one was bad out of the box, the other failed after 5 hours, i converted to a pertronix ignition and coil, no issues since ( 3 years), you can test the coil by trying an inline spark tester on one of the plug leads ( not the coil wire) you may still see a spark but it may not be enough to fir the plug under compression or by cooling the coil with wet towel, but that takes a lot of tine, i figgured it out by quickly using jumper leads on the coil terminals to another coil i just had on hand to test, fired right up

I found a bad wire that hooks to the top post on my starter that when disconnected there is no power to anything fixed it headed out today for another shake down will report more results later

Thing runs like a champ we didn't do much fishing had more fun running around the lake the 4 barrel comes in a lttle slow still back need to fine tune that part

Back