Logo

NOt shifting into neutral and forward

yooperboater

I just replaced the water pump on my 1996 25 Hp tiller electric start Evinrude and have two issues that I would appreciate comments on.

1. The reason I replaced the water pump water that no coming water was coming out of the hose off he cooling chamber on the engine. My old water pump impeller was shot, but now with the new pump I'm still not getting water out of the hose. The hose s not plugged. Should I be replacing the thermostat next?
  2. After re-connecting the upper and lower gear shifter rods I can only get reverse to engage. When I shift to the neutral position it is still engagd in reverse. When I shift to the forward position it is not engaged at all.

Thanks for any comments

Yooper Boater

Im going to follow this. I just replaced my impeller and have the same problem. One thing I realized I did while replacing it, I did pull the drive shaft ( not sure if it's called that) out a little which may have caused it to do this

Pulling the driveshaft out a " little bit " does not affect the shifting in any way.------Are we working on a 3 cylinder model or a 2 cylinder ?

Was the lower part of the shift rod turned during the work ?---------Is the lower part turned so that it is fully down and threaded into the lower unit ?

The post from raceone at 6:00am may be the issue for me as the lower rod is turning. Based on your post it sounds like the rod needs to be turned until it stops meaning it is fully threaded into the lower unit?

Back