Logo

newB needs help 6 hp 4 stroke model MFS6CD

jmczzz

Got this motor on a sailboat I just bought. I was demo'ed motor in the water on the boat. But now I have it home and set it up on a sawhorse with water bucket. I cannot pull the starter rope. It seems to be locked. I know there is a lock out for only starting in neutral. I shift it into neutral and can see the white plastic tang is being held in the up position when it is shifted into N. however still the starter rope cannot be pulled.

The P.O. said it was a 2004 model. I did notice he had trouble getting it to stay in reverse, he got it and the motor ran fine forward and reverse.

I checked the Tohatsu site for the model number MFS6CD but did not find.

Question: Am I on the right track looking for a problem at the starter rope coil mechanism not "unlocking" in neutral?

thanks, James

sounds right, I think the shift linkage is bent or out of adjustment so it still thinks its in gear.

try shifting forward or reverse until you find which way releases it.

what I suspect happened was he replaced the water pump impellar and didn't know what he was doing so the shift linkage connection is now out of whack

often the shift rod connects to the lower unit by a screw nut that you turn to unscrew from the shaft an release it, then turn it to screw back onto the shift rod and tighten the locknut to hold it in place

what happens is somebody doesnt understand how it disconnects and they turn the nut too much which makes the shifter adjustment change as well

Last edited:
Well live and learn, I finally found an on line manual that seemed close. There were lots of warnings about laying motor down. Needless to say I had laid it down om the cabin floor just like I had done my old Mariner to trailer boat home. Nope! the cylinder filled with motor oil and oil does not compress.
I pulled plug drained the oil out and washed out cylinder with some gas and air, drained it, pulled it through a few times, let it sit awhile, reinstalled clean plug and Va-room! started right up.
Thanks for the suggestion, glad it was only an operator error, and easy fix. next time I'll find and read manual first.
James

If being laid down, 4-strokes can only go one way. In the case of the MFS4/5/6, that is with the tiller side down.

Back