Logo

NO electrical - OMC 5.0 H.O. - BOAT IS DEAD...HELP!!

jamassey6

Hello...I have a 1990 Four Winns 180 Horizon with an OMC/Ford 5.0 H.O. 8-cylinder engine (2V) and OMC Cobra installed (model # 502BPRMED). Yesterday, I retrieved the boat from storage and went to lower the drive down to start and run water through it to warm it up. The drive motor operated and it lowered the drive. When I tried to start the boat however, I had NO ELECTRICAL POWER and the drive then would not lower or raise as well as I had no electrical to the bilge, blower, lights, engine, etc. It is now DEAD with no electrical connection whatsoever. I have done the following to try and troubleshoot it:

1. I recently had a dual battery set up installed by a boat repair shop and I replaced the original battery yesterday.
2. Both 50AMP fuses next to the ESA/carburetor were replaced yesterday - one was OK and the other came apart as I removed it so it might have still been good until I started removing the rubber boot cover;
3. I replaced the starter solenoid yesterday - preventatively;
4. I replaced two bad fuses under the dashboard including the trim/motor and I believe the ignition switch fuses - all other fuses check out OK;
5. I checked the connections on both batteries and they were clean;
6. I disconnected the dual-battery switch and reconnected only the brand new battery (eliminated the dual battery and switch) and tried to start the boat...nothing/STILL DEAD.:mad:

I am going to go through and check ALL the connections with sandpaper however, that is a VERY time-consuming issue. Can anyone tell me if they have any suggestions? What do you think about the following possibilties for my DEAD BOAT:

1. Neutral safety switch (part of remote throttle control): OMC Part Number: 0173480
2. Relay & circuit breaker assembly (next to trim pump motor): OMC Part Number: 986281
3. Alternator: OMC Part Number: 985466 (replaced by 3857298, thus replaced by 3860769) or Sierra Part Number 18-5957?
4. Keyswitch assembly?

I am stumped at this point...I have no electrical, despite a but of new components however, I cannot figure it out...HELP! :confused: Thanks advance.

-Jeff

Check the Cannon plug on the main harness, make sure it's not loose, and there's no corrosion on the terminals

Check the Cannon plug on the main harness, make sure it's not loose, and there's no corrosion on the terminals

Thank you for the insight...I found the issue...corrosion on various terminals and grounding connections. It took me several hours, some patience, some sandpaper, my OMC model specific manual with wiring diagrams, OMC model specific parts guide (well worth their money and from Marineengine.com) however, the boat is alive and well! Start with cleaning the electrical connections! Thanks again.

-Jeff

Back