Logo

Oil filter change on Yamaha F150 XA

nafshartoos

Can someone tell me why I have to take my F150 to dealer for oil filter change?

It is right out side the motor and very easy to change.

I can not find article relating to this restriction.

I have always changed my oil filter and oil on my outboard engines.

Thanks for info

Nic

You don't have to take it to a dealer. You can change it yourself. You can do any maintenance on the motor of which you are capable.

Yamaha may "recommend" that the motor be taken to a dealer for the filter change but remember that they are selling motors to folks that have no idea which way the point of a screw driver goes. There are some folks that can botch an oil filter change and then blame Yamaha for the problem. Yamaha wants people to own Yamaha motors when some of those people should not be allowed outside the asylum.

You can change all filters, oil, gear lube, impellors, zincs, etc. yourself if you are able and capable. You can service and repair anything you want on your outboard. You own it! Yamaha doesn't own it. No need to pay and wait for "Service" by an authorized service center which, I hate to say, can sometimes do poor job. FYI... I stopped using that grossly overpriced Yamalube years ago for oil changes... As soon as I had a good break-in on the outboard I switched to Mobile 1 Full Synthetic as many have (available in 5QT jug at Walmart). Some say it may foam, others say it doesn't have this and that and I say BS. If it can handle 15,000 RPM in a Formula 1 race car it itsnt' going to foam at 6,000 in my outboard. Get a replacement filter, some Mobile 1 FS and do it yourself. Quick and easy but remember... with a full oil change only put in as much as is recommended for your engine. The dip sticks on these engines show a wide range and so long as you are anywhere above the low end of that range you are fine. DO NOT FILL IT TO THE TOP OF YOUR DIPSTICK range as you would with a car. I think you'll find you are fully filled per the specs and find your oil level around the middle of the dip stick rage.

Back