Logo

2003 Yamaha 200hp salt water series won't crank

jquinn

I have a 2003 Yamaha 200hp 2 stroke and went out to fireworks last night and all worked well. had some battery cable issues (corrosion) earlier and replaced with good connectors. Fireworks over she started right up. No waked to the Tiki Bar in Rye and tied up to the dock. when it was time to leave engine wouldn't crack. just a whir from the starter (would not pop up and engage the flywheel). Running lights, fish finder, radio, engine tilt all work fine. Is there still corrosion on a battery cable I might have missed or is it time for a new starter?

Probably a stuck 'bendix' on the starter. You can take the starter off and clean the bendix if it is just a bit of dirt, but it may also be broken, so depends what you find. A quick squirt of CRC, WD40 etc may get you going if it is just a bit dirty, but if you do that, take the starter off and clean the bendix afterwards as you don't want to leave it oily.

Probably a stuck 'bendix' on the starter. You can take the starter off and clean the bendix if it is just a bit of dirt, but it may also be broken, so depends what you find. A quick squirt of CRC, WD40 etc may get you going if it is just a bit dirty, but if you do that, take the starter off and clean the bendix afterwards as you don't want to leave it oily.
Thank you for your reply. I've removed the starter and disassembled it. looks like it needs new brushes. Do you know the best place to get a rebuild kit?

Back