Logo

!959 Mark 58

Cassville

Hey all,

I have a 1959 mk58 that had not been run for over twenty five yrs. I cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the mag, new points and plugs and new plugwires. I then moved to the lower unit, new seals and impeller. The boys and I started it up this year and it is running very well! My question is: I am not getting any water out of the pee hole. The water pump seems to be functioning because i have warm water sputtering out of the the upper exhaust port and I can rest my hands on the block and feel the engine come up to a warm temp. ( warm not hot). Does this pee hole thing need to be addressed? I'm a bit of a worrier and really like looking back and seeing my other engines pissing away like mad. I think I read somewhere about drilling and tapping a hole up on the water jacket side of the top cylinder and retrofitting a new pee hole tube. Is that a valid idea? Thanks. Cassville.

Typical. The TELL TALE (it's correct name) is a tiny hole that plugs up easily with crud. While the motor is running blow compressed air up the hole and it should free itself up.

Jeff

Typical. The TELL TALE (it's correct name) is a tiny hole that plugs up easily with crud. While the motor is running blow compressed air up the hole and it should free itself up.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Next time I fill the trash can up with water and start it I will give the compressed air thing a try. Still wondering about the idea of placing a new tell tale tube on the motor. I see Mercury did that on my 1993 Classic 40hp. Any opinion about that? Thanks again. Cassville.

I do that on ALL my motors, for it removes air and steam trapped at the top of the block. Some old Mercs even have a tapped hole up there for an 1/8 " NPT. If not, you can drill (5/16) and tap your own.

Jeff

I do that on ALL my motors, for it removes air and steam trapped at the top of the block. Some old Mercs even have a tapped hole up there for an 1/8 " NPT. If not, you can drill (5/16) and tap your own.

Jeff

I am very interested in adding the new tell tale.
i think I might need a little help in locating the new hole and a what sort of nipple or elbow to use. Thanks again. Cassville.

Back