Logo

Mercury 7.5 year?

tml

Can anyone help identify what year my outboard is? It is a Mercury 7.5 hp, the stamp says made in Canada, serial number 706621.

Thanks.

2 nuts and the lower unit is off.---Water pump is then clearly visible on top of the lower unit.----No manual required for that simple job.

Thanks, that is what I thought from looking at it, but thought that was too easy!!!

Will there be a part number on the impeller so I can order a new one?

Lower units interchange and there are 2 different impellers.---Factory originals have a number on them , but is up to you to get the correct one.

Thanks for the advice. I am in the process of getting a new impeller now, then I will attempt the reassembly!

I finally got the impeller and put the water pump back together!

Now I have a couple of issues.

Is there an easy way to line up the copper water tube into the top of the water pump when I'm trying to re install the lower unit?

Also, I seem to be having a problem with the gears. I put the lower unit back in but I wasn't getting the gears in the right position for some reason.

I have taken the lower unit back out again.

There should ba a seperate " guide tube " that you put into the water pump when assembling.---Assemble with lower unit in forward and shift lever in forward.-----Simple if you have done it a few times.

The guide tube is there but it is hard to keep it lined up with the water pump while sliding the lower unit back in, I thought there might be an easier trick or method to ensure that it's lined up because it is really hard to tell once you push the lower unit up into place.

Is there a way to tell what gear the lower unit is in once it is taken out? I don't see any indicators on the shift shaft, but also not sure what to look for!

???---You use a screwdriver to put the water tube into the guide .--------------Turn the driveshaft to see what gear it is in.------Simple stuff really.

Back