Logo

Getting beeps on Honda 200

Skooter

Advanced Contributor
It's one second on= one second off beep..this is the same motor that I tried to read codes on using by pass clip and no success..any suggestions..boat hasn't been run in a year and from the exhaust port seemed to run rich

Any of the lights come on ? Check engine,battery,over heat, or oil pressure green light goes off ? If it is intermediate sound it cant be over heat or oil pressure. then you can leave that both lights, any sensor fail check engine light with same sound and charging prob battery light and same sound, but no lights and without starting also sound comes it can be water in a fuel, check water separator. can you make clear those things ?

wajira

Check engine light only..and only when idling our stopped..if running it runs fine and no beeps or hesitation

did you try to read the codes by using bypass clip ?IMG-20131122-00181.jpg (it seems to be O2 sensor) but you mentioned after stopping the engine also sound continue ?

Generally the intermittent beeps (1 second on, 1 second off) is a problem with the programmed fuel injection system. Real rapid beeps indicate water in the onboard fuel/water separator.

Assuming you have the four-light key switch, to get codes, shunt the lime green/white wire to the black wire with a paper clip or shunt wire. If you get only one blink on the MIL light that repeats about every 3 seconds it's probably the HO2 sensor.

I have tried to pull codes before, but computer wouldn't let me..the engine seems to run rich and turns off when I go back to idle

If you have the 4-light key switch there is no reason in the world you can't get the fault codes unless you have a dead ECM, which is doubtful, since the engine runs. I'd recommend trying again. I've posted the procedure multiple times on this forum. If you need it again, send and e-mail to [email protected].

I haven't run boat since last year, but the last time it would only hit 3700 rpm, so I tried to pull the codes and no blinks at all...I've pulled them before..so I was thinking bad ecm also...but boat ran fine otherwise..since then I bought two used ecms on eBay for $25 , but have not put them on..going to try to retrieve codes later in today...I will keep you guys posted..thanks for the help

I thought the one sec on one sec off beep was the O2 sensor. The mil lamp is showing the bad O2 as well.
I had the beep on my stbd engine a couple times in the past 4-5 trips, after starting up to move after running for a while and shutting down. It beeps, then I shut it down and restart and it's fine. This is with a new O2 sensor with maybe 25hrs on it. I have to pull codes again to be sure, but the engines have seemed to run rich since I got them, even after changing the O2 sensors.
Skooter, have you changed the hp filter? Your 3700 rpm max issue sounds more like that, and not the O2. Even with my bad, original O2 sensors, I had no issues turning 5500+

In the manual show if misfiring also can give same O2 sensor fault code, and diagnose chart show check fuel pressure also,so that correct check your filters first and solve rpm problem,because with faulty O2 sensor also no issue with top speed. and now a day some people doesn't care this sound at idle they use like this after out of warranty its too expensive for them,
check filters and spark plugs,

wajira

EP4 - did you clear the codes off the ECM after you installed the new HO2 sensor? You should.

Skooter & EP4. A single blink on the MIL could be the HO2 sensor, but it could also be a spark plug misfiring OR a bad connection on the HO2 sensor wire.

I did clear the codes a couple of times after the ho2 change. I had no alarms or codes until recently. I did a laundry list of things prior to the beep coming, so I thought one of them may have caused it. I will check the codes again on both engines and clear them. If the ho2 shows a code, I may swap from the port engine. My connector looks clean, so I did not suspect any issue there. Plugs are newer and were all looking good when I had them out just prior to the beeping.
Skooter, how many hours on the new hp filter? Did you check the basics, like throttle cable adjustment, and check the timing marks?

Prob 10 hours on motor.I did notice when light turns on, engine runs a little rough..also seems to run rich, leaving soot on exhaust port

Can you make sure all the cylinders are working fine,By disconnecting ignition coil connector. And one more thing,Fuel pressure regulator operation of regulator also can change the fuel pressure,just remove the small vacuum pipe on intake air box and see whether rpm is changing.

wajira

I get the black stuff around the exhaust ports after every trip offshore. It washes right off but it comes back. I normally run about an hour in each direction, so it is sustained at around 4k rpm. I thought the engines smelled rich as well but they did not change with the new o2 sensors.

spark plugs are new, so do the basic Compression test and fuel pressure test. Can you try with another ECU ?make sure the ECU match with O2 sensor.

i Have found some cases ,the fuel leaking Injectors, they are sliding bit fuel to the intake ports.so speed no prob but rough idle and bad exhaust ,when we did fuel pressure test,fuel pressure is dropping and pressure is not stable.

wajira

I have the old style o2 sensors, so I don't believe the ecu was ever changed out. The dealer did not see any 02 warranty work being performed before I bought the boat. I could swap the computers form each engine but they both seem to run rich, so that may not help.
I am sure the injectors are not leaking. I just pulled the ones from the port engine and had them tested/cleaned. The pattern was a little off but the did not leak and had no other issues.
Where is the best place to check the fuel pressure? Does it have to be an inline gauge? I don't recall seeing any schrader valves anywhere.

Are you thinking that I have bad ecm? I have a couple of spares that I picked up on eBay...I just bought new spark plugs so I will replace those too

Skooter - if you're running rich, check all your vacuum lines. I think you have the Helm shop manual, and I recall that somewhere in there is a diagram of all the vacuum lines. The reason that I'm saying that is that over the years my kids have all had Honda auto's, and whenever their fuel mileage went bad, or they were getting dark exhaust, 9 out of 10 times it was a vacuum leak.

Also, somewhere in the Helm manual (Chapter 5, I think) there are vacuum specs for several test points.

How would I know if I have the upgraded O2 sensor by just looking at it..I haven't checked to see if mine had sb56 on it

old O2 sensor is looks big,if you want open it you have to use 22 size spanner,new O2 sensor is small 14 size spanner, if your exhaust manifold not upgraded and going to fix new O2 sensor on it you cant fix it directly, you have to use adapter nut with the sensor. And ECU also different ,I think last number on the ECU, Old one got AO2 and new one got AO4 something like that,

I think that is the oldest One(i will confirm it ) , And how is the sensor look likes ?
And i hope your throttle body well cleaned.

sensors.jpg this is new and old O2 sensor. sensor new.jpg this how new sensor fix on old type manifold.Ex manifod.jpg this is latest exhaust manifold.

ECU part numbers, with old sensor 34750-ZY2-A02 (A03 also) and with new sensor 34750-ZY2-A04

Back