Logo

2000 130hp 4 stroke won't throttle up

Okay - that prop sounds like it's about right for the size and weight of the boat. But again, these engines need to be set up so that WOT is in the 5800 to 6000 rpm range. Hopefully, the folks that set it up did it correctly. Still, if you can readily get your hands on a prop with a lower pitch, say, 15", it may be worth experimenting.

The first thing I would do is to vary the trim to see if you can increase the rpm's. Next, with the engine a mid-trim check to see if the anti-cavitation plate is just about exactly level with the lowest point on the transom. (The anti-cavitation plate is that wide piece of metal just above the prop.)

The VST is in place to assure an adequate amount of non-turbulent fuel is available to the high pressure fuel pump. (The fuel in the VST tank is kept under pressure to prevent vaporization, thus preventing the fuel from becoming too lean under variable demand.) On the back starboard side of your motor, you will see a plastic tube looped around a holder. Unhook it, and look down at the base where it connects. Beside the connection is a small set screw. Use a long 10” or longer, flat blade screwdriver to open the set screw - slowly. First, turn on your key switch briefly so that the HP fuel pump charges the system. Then, with the end of the hose extended downward into a clear container that will hold at least a quart of liquid, start opening the set screw. Do not open too far - if it comes out, you will need to remove the lower cowling to retrieve it. Somewhere around two pints of gas, and maybe some water and gunk will come out of that tube. Be patient, the last stuff to come out is usually slow, but drain out as much as you can. If there is water, or any gunk, then your fuel-water separator and low pressure fuel filter have failed and need to be replaced. If there is no flow, blow low pressure compressed air back through the tube to open it up.

If you are still having problems, then it may be necessary to remove the VST and clean the screen on the outflow tube and check the internal float valve.

Where is the fuel pump and vst located? I will look at them today. The boat is a 20.2 ft key west. The diameter of the prop is 13 1/4 x 17. It's the original one that came on the motor and that motor came on the boat. According to the specs I've seen, boat is approx 1800 lbs. Will try those things and run her again. Thanks

how fast should we be going??

Speed is irrelevant, it's the engine RPM's that is the key issue. These engines need to be set up so that WOT is in the 5800 to 6000 rpm range, then optimize your speed by experimenting with the trim.

Okay - that prop sounds like it's about right for the size and weight of the boat. But again, these engines need to be set up so that WOT is in the 5800 to 6000 rpm range. Hopefully, the folks that set it up did it correctly. Still, if you can readily get your hands on a prop with a lower pitch, say, 15", it may be worth experimenting.

The first thing I would do is to vary the trim to see if you can increase the rpm's. Next, with the engine a mid-trim check to see if the anti-cavitation plate is just about exactly level with the lowest point on the transom. (The anti-cavitation plate is that wide piece of metal just above the prop.)

The VST is in place to assure an adequate amount of non-turbulent fuel is available to the high pressure fuel pump. (The fuel in the VST tank is kept under pressure to prevent vaporization, thus preventing the fuel from becoming too lean under variable demand.) On the back starboard side of your motor, you will see a plastic tube looped around a holder. Unhook it, and look down at the base where it connects. Beside the connection is a small set screw. Use a long 10” or longer, flat blade screwdriver to open the set screw - slowly. First, turn on your key switch briefly so that the HP fuel pump charges the system. Then, with the end of the hose extended downward into a clear container that will hold at least a quart of liquid, start opening the set screw. Do not open too far - if it comes out, you will need to remove the lower cowling to retrieve it. Somewhere around two pints of gas, and maybe some water and gunk will come out of that tube. Be patient, the last stuff to come out is usually slow, but drain out as much as you can. If there is water, or any gunk, then your fuel-water separator and low pressure fuel filter have failed and need to be replaced. If there is no flow, blow low pressure compressed air back through the tube to open it up.

If you are still having problems, then it may be necessary to remove the VST and clean the screen on the outflow tube and check the internal float valve.

image.jpg Is the clear tube it

82y.jpg prop seems to be small.no idea about more smaller prop. since you have fuel issue i feel it is still same. if you can know history of this boat( speed and rmp )it will be good,

April - no, that is not the right tube. Remove engine cover. On the right rear of the engine you should see the tube clipped to a holder attached to the inside of the cowling. Remove from holder. One end will not be connected to anything, the other end goes into the end of the VST as described previously.

The nipple where the clear tube is connected is the drain for the vapor separator. The clear tube should not be connected to it.....it is a breather tube for the intake muffler. There is no drain tube on the 115/130 vapor separator.

It is a common mistake for people to connect it there.....they feel it needs to be connected to something. The tube should be routed to a hole in the casing near the fuel filter.

Mike

April,

I have a 2- 1998 Honda 130's... about 850hrs on them... On my way home from a trip yesterday... One of my engines would only hit 4200 RPMs, pretty much came to the same conclusion that CHawk recommended for you...

Were did you order your parts from? How long did it take to get them?
PS... I did a compression check on it yesterday PM... All Cylinders were in the 179-188 PSI Range..

CHawk.. If you would be so kind to answer a few of my questions..

I have owned this boat for just about a year now... Its a 1998 World Cat SC... Both engines are Right hand Rotation, from my understanding, Honda did not make a Left Hand rotation in 1998. Max RPM's at WOT is 5400 RPM's, should I prop down ???
Since I have owned this boat the Port Motor sucks alot more fuel than the Starboard Motor. The Starboard engine is the one thats not hitting full RPM's now...

Should I run the Honda Outboard Engine Oil...Or Can I run Automotive Synthetic Oil?

Any other advice you may have?

Hi xring01! I am in NC and ordered my parts from a place called Mobile East Marine in Alliance NC. Carrie there helped me and she had them to me in 1 day! She was a big help! We did all the recommended things that everyone has suggested and now we are just waiting to find time to drain the vst. As soon as my hubby takes a day off, that is our next project. When you were going only 4200 rpm, how fast were you going? Did you have stumbling when full throttle?? Hope ya get it figured out. Depending on where you are, Carrie at mobile east can get stuff out to you quick anywhere in the US

XRing - Mike (Honda Dude) is the 130 expert on this forum. His diagnosis and opinions are golden!

My best source for Honda parts has been boats.net.

Oil has been discussed many times on this forum, so do a search and see what all has been said. In my personal opinion, I avoid the synthetics and use a standard high quality 10W-30 automotive oil and change it religiously every 100 hours. For me, that is at least three oil changes a year. If you are a light user (under 100 hours a year) then a synthetic may be the way to go, BUT still change the oil every 100 hours or every season, whichever comes first.

As for the props, all I can advise is that you should be able to get up near the 6000 rpm range at wide open throttle (WOT), given that all else is running correctly. If WOT is substantially lower, say, 5600 or under, then you are putting unwarranted strain on the engine's powertrain and bearings.

Sounds like you may have a fuel feed problem with your starboard engine. First thing I would do is check/replace the high pressure fuel filter and drain the VST. Also, I understand that there is a filter screen as fuel goes into the fuel rail and may need to be replaced, but I'll defer to Mike on any of those issues.

Some of the early 130's had problems with the power heads and cracked exhaust ports. Post your serial numbers and maybe Mike or one of the other folks that have access can see if any warranty repairs have been made on those engines.

April,
No stumbling at all, Ran pretty normal up to 4200 RPM's and thats all she would do... Pending Sea State, loading & amount of fuel, I get anywhere from 18-21 MPH. In Neutral it hits 6000 RPM's... Havent had the time to research all the part numbers I need yet. Once I get that info, I will probably give your recommendation a call..

CHawk,
My Serial numbers are BZBE 1000764 and 1000765

I plan to order all the "Tune Up" parts (High/Low Fuel Filters, Plugs Wires, Oil, Oil Filter, Decarbonizer anything else I can think of) that I need, and go through both motors ASAP. Between work/traveling and kids, Time is my biggest obstacle at the moment. My last oil change I used Honda Brand that was recommended...

Also need to find the time to break out my Honda Manual and do some reading, figure our how to do all this...

Thanks for all for your input...

Ok guys so I had someone clean out the vst for me since I really have no time. You should see the crap and gunk that came out of it.....yuck!! It really did need to be drained. We did change the spark plugs too. She no longer stumbles and runs great! WOT she was about 5300 rpm and she was about 41 mph. Not bad at all! Had her injectors checked as well as they are fine. Will continue to do small things as the season goes along. Thank you all for all your help. I will keep you updated on any changes. (I hope we are good for the season) when someone told me what BOAT actually stood for, I didn't believe it. Trust me, I am now a true believer!! Haha

Good luck on finding time......

I checked your serial numbers and there is no repair history shown in the records that I can access. Honda mechanized their warranty records shortly after the 130's had their problems. Thus, there is very little in the data base on them. If you call Honda directly, they should be able to look it up manually for you. 770-497-6400

Mike

Ok guys, just a quick update. Cleaned out the VST and it was nasty!! Both high and low filters have been replaced. The thermostat was replaced as well since it was opening early and causing it to run rich as well. Changed all the spark plugs too! Now she runs great!! Had her to 5200 rpm at WOT and about 40 mph. Thanks for all your help!!

April

I think 5200 at WOT may be a bit too low, but will defer to the 130 experts on this forum. Typically, I think you want to get WOT in the 5600 to 6000 rpm's. Lots of things may be responsible for that low RPM WOT - over propped, over trimmed, throttle cables out of adjustment, throttle stop out of adjustment, etc, etc.

Update to all,

First, thanks for all the help/advice CHawk/Hondadude...

I have two Honda 130s, and I just replaced the following on both motors
Industrial Racor Inline Filters - Large 3227's in my memory is correct.
LP Filter
HP Filter,
VST Air Filter- Not sure if thats the correct name, but its on top of the VST Tank.
New Spark Plugs
Removed/Cleaned the Water Seperator Filter thingy
Engine Oil, Oil Filter
Thermostat/Gasket

Tried to clean the VST Tank... Had a very stubborn Screw on top of it that just wouldnt budge on the starboard motor... Its kinda stripped... So I just drained it out of the top ... Didnt touch the VST on the Port, its running fine...

Took the boat out yesterday pm... The engines went right up to 5600 RPM's... I guess since I bought this boat a year ago... The filters needed to be changed... Previous Owner informed me they didnt have much time on them, so I didnt touch them last year...

That combine with me running alot of Fuel Cleaners/Additives, probably clogged the filters...

Engines are running good now... I am good to go.
Just signed up the the Make a Wish Tuna Challenge in San Diego... Thats always a blast, and I think we raised over $200,000 last year...

Time to use the boat again.

A key lesson I have learned with any outboard engine - run them hard and run them as often as possible. That will keep them running well and for a very long time. The commercial fisherman in these parts are out on the water almost every day, and they put 5000 hours and up on their engines. The USCG will typically put over 5000 hours on their big Hondas before retiring them.

Back