Logo

2000 130hp 4 stroke won't throttle up

I have a 2000 honda 4 stroke 130 hp that has less than 150 hrs. (according to the speedometer) When I bought the boat, it did great!! Now, after taking it to the ocean, it fails to pick up speed. RPM won't go above 3200 when at full throttle. We have had the fuel drained and new fuel put in, fuel filer changed and cleaned, Someone told us to check the prop. We bought a new one. Went out to the lake today and it seems worse. When we first went out, the motor still wouldn't accelerate but we could get up to 8mph with 1/2 throttle. We stopped to fish and then decided to go to another spot. This time, the engine was whining and would not accelerate. Also it stumbled and died on us a few times. Any ideas????

Is it start normally or you have to crank many times ?at idle smooth,all the cylinders are working?Open spark plugs and see. Old BF130 engines can have many problems but not much difficult to find do basic checkup,like compression test,spark test and fuel pressure. this engine got two fuel filters low pressure and high pressure, did u changed both ?

wajira

Is it start normally or you have to crank many times ?at idle smooth,all the cylinders are working?Open spark plugs and see. Old BF130 engines can have many problems but not much difficult to find do basic checkup,like compression test,spark test and fuel pressure. this engine got two fuel filters low pressure and high pressure, did u changed both ?

wajira

I have have not replaced both filters. Only the one in the back of the boat. Where is the other? I will also check the other stuff tomorrow. It did seem like it wasn't getting fuel today. Thanks!

2y.jpg LP fuel filter you can check from outside but Mostly this problem happen when HP filter block, if you going to open it prepare a O-ring also.

Ok will do that and let ya know how it goes! Do you know anywhere that is a good place online to order these parts? Local parts stores tell me that they will see if they have it and get me a price and call back, but get nothing.

Also how can I tell if the HP filter is clogged. Also there is one more round container i see on the pic that is between the high and low that i noticed in the engine....what is that??

1 more question! I have a BFBE seriel number on the outside of the engine but when we took the top off, on the back of the engine it's self, there is a different number that is a BEBE number. Why would it have 2 different numbers??

the other glass kind of container is water separator if their is water in fuel it will separate their and you can see it, If you want make sure the HP filter and since you don't have maintenance record, open that 3 screw and see whether the filter is ok, but you have to deal with the O-ring on the cap. the other LP filter also you can see from outside if dirty inside sometime it can see. i hope same things on your engine also because old modal got different type of fuel filter,

Numbers- the number on the side of engine bracket is frame number that can use for find parts, the other number on the engine block is engine number,

wajira

That's probably the fifth messed up HP fuel filter posted on this forum in the last 4 months. I just don't know why folks fail to pay attention to their engine's maintenance schedule.

Ok thanks Mike! Will be getting the parts in Friday and then putting em in Sat morning. Will update y'all sat to let ya know how it goes :)

Per your suggestions, both high and low pressure filters were changed. Took the boat on the water and to begin with the RPM was 4000 but would not go above 20 mph. When going full throttle she continued to stumbled. Turned the engine off to fish and about 20 mins later decided to move. Cranked her up and she ran! Full throttle, no stumbling, 5200 rpm and 33 mph. Any more suggestions on what I can do to continue to increase her speed and rpm? Also does it make a difference if you have an aluminum prop or stainless steel?? Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

5200 RPM is still not right. Could be over prop'ed - too much pitch or too large of a diameter, or fuel problem could still be there. You need to be close to 6000 rpm at wide open throttle (WOT.)

Drain the VST again. Borrow a prop with a smaller pitch from your local Honda shop or marina to see if that helps.

5200 RPM is still not right. Could be over prop'ed - too much pitch or too large of a diameter, or fuel problem could still be there. You need to be close to 6000 rpm at wide open throttle (WOT.)

Drain the VST again. Borrow a prop with a smaller pitch from your local Honda shop or marina to see if that helps.

What's the VST?

VST is i think Vapor Separator Tank, since you don't have history of this boat it will be confusing but you can try 17"prop and What diameter ? and what is the boat length and and weight ....some of the other factors also comes with boat speed and rpm.

Still feel their is some fuel issue one more screen filter you not yet seen i don't know how it will be, it is under the fuel pump if that fuel strainer clogged, you will have same prob, rpm cant reach max.and rpm will stumbled at high. So opening fuel pump and check that screen is not much easy. And use the boat again once twice if their is any prob while reaching rpm go for fuel issue.

wajira

Where is the fuel pump and vst located? I will look at them today. The boat is a 20.2 ft key west. The diameter of the prop is 13 1/4 x 17. It's the original one that came on the motor and that motor came on the boat. According to the specs I've seen, boat is approx 1800 lbs. Will try those things and run her again. Thanks

Back