Logo

1985 Merc 50 fuel pump assembly wma3 fuel pump assembly

rocknroj

Contributing Member
Greetings and thanks for looking..

Just replaced gaskets and cleaned carbs on 1985 merc 50, 40 cylinder, wma3 carbs. I had a gasket kit and full carb rebuild kit. The gasket kit came with 5 gaskets for the fuel pump, the full carb kit only had 4. Both mercury parts.

So I finally got this thing running, one carb with 4 gaskets, the other carb with 5 gaskets. I started with both carbs assembled the same (4 gaskets) as it appeared in the Merc manual. (When if first disassmbled the top carb it had 5 gaskets) . Once installed and with the engine running, I found that the top carb was not producing fuel at idle. Out it came again, got another cleaning, (also broke it down a little further), then reasembled with the 5th gasket.

At this point I am kind of confused as to what should be there and why, or if it was only coincidental on the 5th gasket and my real culprit was somewhere else. So below are the pics. The gasket in question is the thin rubber one shaped like the brown plastic. Now my lower carb does not have the black rubber gasket and my upper carb does. At least it runs and delivers fuel .. Anyone else notice this?
pump1.JPGpump2.JPG

The golden gasket is a SPRING to hold the black gasket--that is the seal--against the plate.

Kits contain parts for several different carbs to reduce costs, so there are often extras.

Jeff

thanks man!... That makes sense... Wonder why one of my carbs did not have the seal installed and the carb rebuild kit from mercury did not contain the seal... Or maybe i just answered my own question. Thanks again for the fast response.. Fishing season is comming up!

Back