Logo

Johnson 35 Super Sea Horse-how much water to test cooling

Hopefully the permatex will give you a better reading on if that is the issue. I`m from the school of fix the obvious first the two water tubes should stay in the exhaust housing when you pull the gearbox. Are the water tubes fully seated in the water pump and lower grommet on that gearbox the water pump only has one grommet on top for that setup I believe. I have been too lazy to pull my gearbox and see how it goes putting in 10+ hours a day fixing heat pumps.

I also ordered two new grommets, but actually there are two tubes coming from the water pump. And those long days will catch up to you!

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gear+Case+Group

I re-installed my old LU, my '58 RDS-20's, to see if there were any pumping issues. Which it did pump with, but still was overheating. Post #43. Plus I ordered the two grommets that fit in the lower leg of the housing, towards the Powerhead. They arrived today, so I will run them later to see if that changes anything. They are actually within hand reach to pull out. I was thinking that they were further up towards the powerhead. Hopefully things will change for me soon. I am renting a place on the water next week for a vacation, and wanted this old boat to tool around with.

Well with the old lower unit, the boat ran fine, and no cooling/overheating issues with it. I personally believe, it may have more to do with the water level in my test tank, as when I pulled out the original grommets for the top of the tubes, they fit pretty tight on the water inlet/outlet tubes. They didn't seem to be too worn. I want to think everyone that provided me some insight into this. My motor sits apprx. 3" lower in the water(lake), than it does in my 55 gallon drum. Which makes it apprx. 5" above the impeller. Just an FYI.
Rick

Back