Logo

how to change mark 35a shaft seals

birddseedd

so,

how?

a special tool is needed to pull it out, or does it unscrew? there are some marks on it from a pipe wrench.

thanks for the help

You likely need to remove the big nut with the 4 holes.---I can not recall if it is a left hand thread or the other kind.

???????----It appears that someone has run that with the prop rubbing on the big nut with the 4 holes.-----The part with the seal is not threaded I believe.-----The wise move is to drill / break the big nut with the 4 holes.----Then you can pull out the part that has the seal.--------Too late now I guess.

Last edited:
break it out huh. guess thats my only option. its so stuck in it doesnt even look like a separate part. tried hard to turn it out.

what is the piece in the center that holds the seal? something i can still get? is it just a hollow bushing, or attach at the back or something? what is it actually called?

Top of this page.------Look for a box that says ---engine diagrams----Look it all up under the 1959 35A.--------Everything you need is right there.

Last edited:
im a little worried. on the shaft where one of the seals is at it looks like the shaft has been ground down. couldnt tell how as its rubber covering that spot. non the less, there is marks. ill try to get pics.

Before trying to get that 'nut' out, try drilling small holes in the seal and threading in sheet metal screws. Pry gently on each screw, one at a time, and it might come out.

Jeff

Thanks for the help yall. ill get the drill out and do some drillin soon. don't have much of a choice. cant use it like it is now.

sure wish i could get the other boat going. no spark and the flywheel wont come off.

Take you time, drill LOTS of holes, and gently tap the remains out. Be careful not to crack the housing or...

Jeff

Well, with lots of holes and chiseling, i got it out. Now i have no idea how to get the bearing carrier out. I was told to tap it from behind, but there is no way to get in from behind.

freaking awesome! now to buy some wd40 since i drooped the dumb thing in the boat and got dirt on it.

any idea why the main drive shaft doesn't want to push back in all the way. goes about an inch.

to change the impeller, I have to take off the middle part of the engine, where the drive shaft goes up through?

thanks for the help. im excited to have my boat back and not have to worry about mixing water with the oil.

Back