Logo

Jelcoat on boat missing.

pmiccich

I recently aquired a boat from an elderly man down the road from me. Its a 14 ft little row boat you can fit an engine on which im upgrading to from a 13 ft aluminum boat. It dosnt leak even though it has a few cracks along the interior, but those can be fixed up easy. What im having trouble dealing with is the fact that the jelcoat has compleetly been removed from both the interior and exterior of the boat. Every timd i touch the damn thing im itching like a mad man haha. So im hoping someone on here can help me with what to do? How i would go about repairing the jel coat? And if i should even bother repairing the jelcoat, like maybe i should just paint overtop the exposed fiberglass?

Any suggestions at all will help. Thanks.

I would definitely paint it with a marine epoxy paint. Two sources that I have used in the past are West Marine and Jamestown Distributors. Both carry a wide variety of paints for this job and have very good literature available for download and instructional videos. Down in Hatteras where I hang out ion the winter, almost all of the charter boats use these paints, not gelcoat.

Back