Logo

Alarm sounds 454XL

bluejamesman

We took 21 year old Happy Ours out for a 2 hour run on Saturday, 6-28-14 and it ran beautifullywith 1660 hours.
Monday evening, 6-30-14 while checking the boat on the lift behind our home I heard a horn blowing.
It was the VDO starboard horn down and to the right of the steering wheel.
Last night the only way I could get the horn stopped was to disconnect the battery with the switch.
Tuesday AM I checked with power, still a horn.
I decided to disconnect one of the wires to the VDO and repower and the horn stopped.
Then decided to run and freshwater flush both engines , Port engine no problem
Starboard engine, no problem until turning the ignition key "OFF" and the engine continued to run.
The only way I could get it to stop was to kill the battery with the switch.
I heard several different horns when I was trying to analyze the problem but I can't determine which horn is associated with which function. Could It be a sender or ignition switch?

Last edited:
Well, it is not the ignition switch, I changed it out with a new switch and powered it up and the horn started blowing, same as before, I need help.

Horn sounding problem solved. The main power connectors located in the helm console were taken apart and some corrosion was present. Cleaned the connectors with CRC and treated with Dielectric. Re-assembled and powered up and no sound was heard. Cranked engines successfully.

Back