Logo

VRO Bypass

henry11

I have a 2001 Johnson 150, it has been a great running motor with no issues, this past week I ran engine decarb thru it and then the next day I changed the plugs and ran it again, at the house in a tub.
I went to take the boat out saturday and it acted like the VRO pump was not pumping fuel and oil. The engine would only run for a couple minuits and I would loose prime, and gave the no oil alarm. After several attempts I took the boat home and I took off the hose that goes to the pulse limiter and turned it over and it had pulses. so then i disconected the two hoses coming out of the VRO that go to the carb intake, turned it over and it was pumping. Since then I have run the boat at the house 2 other times once for over 1/2 hour. Everything seems to be fine.
Instead of bypassing my VRO the traditional way I was thinking about putting a Tee in my fuel line to both the fuel and oil side of the VRO, mixing 50:1, that would keep the VRO lubricated and not totally disconnected. I know the issue I had seems like the problem was the VRO itself been totally bad, but this will give me piece of mind as far as oil lubrication to the engine, until I get this figured out.Any thoughts on this would greatly be apprieated.
Thank you
Henry

i am replying to this only so that i will receive updates on any responses. i too am interested in your outcome.

Well I didn't even get to try it, I ran the boat a couple of days later and it seem like the vro has quit working again. I have gone thru the testing proceedures I have found online and have had no luck getting it to "click" using vacuum and pressure pumps. It dosn't leak and I have taken it appart and all the diaphrams look good. I put clear hoses one everything the pulse limiter is pulsing but the vro dosn't seem to pump. i can hook the vro to the engine, fuel supply and oil supply, then prime it and leave its output line disconnected turn the motor over and nothing comes out. I also suspect the Vaporpump because I'm not sure what it does, but it dosn't come into play until after the vro. Any help or other testing thoughts would be great before I go but another VRO.
Thank you
Henry

Back