Logo

Dockside salt water flushing techniques

saltydogsc

I have a 2005 Honda Bf40A which i run and store in salt water via a rented slip. I am hoping someone can tell me the CORRECT method(s) I should be using to flush my motor while it is still in the saltwater, dockside. I use the boat daily & only take the boat out of the water for regular maintenance: every other month. I have no problems flushing the motor while boat is on the trailer & have had great success with salt away. Flushing at the slip is a totally different story. I currently use "industrial" style muffs with the motor tilted up out of the water and have been told this is not good due to starving the engine of oil during the process. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and shared with others at my harbor! Thanx for your time-Paul

if you really want to flush the engine best way is start the engine in the sweet water but in the salt water,so may be you can try their is one screw at the gear box near the gear oil check screw written WASH unscrew that and attach flushing tool and supply pressure water i hope that can be flush the engine throw the salt water out from the engine,i never try that but, i have that attachment tool with me.

wajira

The whole idea of flushing is to simply remove the corrosive salt water from the internal water passages in the block, head, and manifolds. Forcing fresh water through the flushing port will do that. The engine SHOULD NOT be running when using the flushing port.

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will return a WORD document with pictures showing how I solved the problem by
fabricating a simple T connector into the flushing hose and ran a hose from that T to a fitting on my transom that allows me to hook up a quick disconnect from a garden hose.

I've wondered about using the flushing port...Im guessing its not as effective because the thermostats aren't opened?? Correct me if I am wrong..

its doesn't matter thermostat is opened or not because water will flow reverse and that will wash the cooling system. while flushing should not start the engine.

wajira

Yes - from the Honda shop manual diagrams it looks like the flushing water flows in the opposite direction from the flow from the water pump. Theoretically, that should push open the thermostats. That is also why you never run the engine while flushing.

Was wondering the same. On my 130 the flush line enters the head from a different port. Separate from the water pump and impeller. Was wondering how the block is flowed if the thermostats are closed. Then saw how it worked when I changed my thermostats.

Back