Logo

Having Trouble Starting 70hp Evinrude Hustler

aaronlongo

I recently purchased a boat from my grandfather that had a 1974 Evinrude Hustler outboard on the back. With fresh, ethanol free fuel and new oil mix, it's not starting. I had it at a lake a mile from the house this evening to try and start it up, and after it revved for a second or so, it died. I pulled the housing off and found that a fuse had blown (20A). Replaced the fuse, re-started the motor, it quit again. Fuse was toast a second time.

The times that it did run for a bit, it sounded like it may have not been getting fuel. Fuel pump? Carburator? I don't have any experience working on outboard motors, but I teach shop, just never had to work on an outboard before.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The most usual cause of the problem you're having is due to fouled carburetors due to sitting. Be sure to manually clean the brass high speed jets located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the carburetors... way in back of the drain screws/bolts.

They're not complex such as an automotive craburetor... just take pictures and make notes before you dismantle anything (steps).

The fuse blowing indicates a short somewhere... or a loose wire, tight but dirty connection, something of that nature. Possibly a faulty starter but hope for the lesser cause.

Back