Logo

evinrude has a broken piston

coolbri70

model 85995R, last time out my motor lost power and wouldn't idle, after discovering a dead cylinder and a water drip from the exhaust cover, I removed the cover and spotted damage when I looked in the ports, so I pulled the head and now I need to replace the piston, I wont be able to order a service manual for a couple weeks so am trying to pull the powerhead and not sure where to start. can I pull it on the transom or does it have to be removed from the boat? I am an auto mechanic so I'm not totally clueless but this is different and could use some direction till I can get my manual

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I have removed the plastic cover, and want to know if the exhaust housing adapter comes off with the powerhead or does the power head come off the adapter, is this piece similar to the bell housing on a car motor?http://youtu.be/4AchZyYCcHs

Last edited:
ok, so after searching threads, I understand I need to remove the 6 long bolts that go up through the exhaust housing adapter, the 2 nuts under the back, the 4 bolt up front, and the pin from the shift rod. am I missing anything?

the cylinders look good, still have some crosshatching. I was thinking of replacing the piston, and re ringing the other 3, and replacing all the gaskets. not sure why it broke.

i got everything except one of the long bolts the head broke off and the one next to it came out bent, I was able to lift it a little but I think the broken bolt is holding it some so I will hook the hoist to the lift ring, put a bit of pressure on it and tap the broken bolt with a drift and hammer, hope it comes off

stayed late at work, cleaned the ring grooves, then used the parts washer, maybe get more tomorrow

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 101
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 98
my manual came in the mail today, it shipped separately from the parts, I hope they come soon, my vacation starts Friday and I hope to go boating

well, my parts came today, but my powerhead is at work so I will bring it home tomorrow after work my vacation starts. need to get it together so I can do some boatin

Good Luck!! Please keep us posted.

You may want to ask the guys here about breaking it in after the rebuild. I'm not sure how you should do that.

Bill

ran into a big problem, the crankshaft was broken where the bottom seal rides, I have re-attached the pieces and machined it, now waiting for a repair sleeve I ordered today, and pray it holds up, as replacement cranks are unavailable

I did not think of a used crank, but the sleeve worked great, and the crankcase is back together now. just need to bolt on the heads, stator, flywheel, intake, carbs and set it back in place, but first this looks like a good opertunity to replace the thermostats

the top center bolt broke on the thermostat housing broke, I got it out and got a replacement today so I can get back to work. if no interuptions should be running later today

My concern is that "broken crankshaft", and how did you fix it? I would really like a complete explanation of that one...

My concern is that "broken crankshaft", and how did you fix it? I would really like a complete explanation of that one...

you reattach the broken pieces then grind the weld smooth then drive speedi sleeve (napas brand, advance sells redi sleeve but they didn't have 1.112) over and viola, smooth perfect seal shaft

Last edited:
Be sure and give it a proper break in period to seat the rings good. You can go WOT for short spurts but run it at variable speeds for at least 8 hrs and check the plugs regularly they should be a nice toasty brown on the insulators. Are you running premix or a VRO? Sound nice good job my concern is shouldnt you be running it in a little bigger pond like Lake Michigan :)

I was going to follow the break in per the service manual, It was running on muffs, I use the tub as a muffler and it keeps from spraying 2 stroke all over the garage door

you reattach the broken pieces then grind the weld smooth then drive speedi sleeve (napas brand, advance sells redi sleeve but they didn't have 1.112) over and viola, smooth perfect seal shaft

You skip right over the hard part. Reattach. How? JB Weld? Seriously, how did you weld it? And you must have access to a machine shop where you can experiment. These cranks are hardened and I was always advised they couldn't be welded.

The only machine shop I have around here would s**t their pants when presented with such a fix.

You skip right over the hard part. Reattach. How? JB Weld? Seriously, how did you weld it? And you must have access to a machine shop where you can experiment. These cranks are hardened and I was always advised they couldn't be welded.

The only machine shop I have around here would s**t their pants when presented with such a fix.
jb weld, then a skim coat under the sleeve, I would not do for a customer, some of the things I do to my stuff, I think it will hold up fine though I wont stake my reputation on it. so far so good, if it should fail, guess I start the kicker

Back