Logo

1965 Evinrude Angler 5hp missing at high speed.....

hy_tek69

Greetings!

Frequent visiter, first post.

Recently purchased this motor for a small 12' fishing boat. Previous owner indicated it wouldn't run at high speed. Unable to run it as he did not have tank and line to test it. Bought it for $75.00. starts first pull every time. Idles fine, mid throttle fine. high speed it misses. Top Cylinder is missing diagnosed from timing light.

My notes:

rebuilt carb. (gaskets, needle, float (adjusted per shop manual),and replaced inlet jet at carb bottom.)
new plugs J4C @.030
new wires, points and condensor's. Points verified by timing light. (cylinder is firing withing the marks on the magneto and flywheel)
brand new tank and hose with inline filter
fuel at 50:1
verified cam plate om magneto is correct per shop manual
verified compression 4 pulls on cold engine @ 80 on both.

By accident, I was applying pressure on the throttle and all of a sudden the thing ran like a beast. timing light showed cylinder firing just fine. As soon as I let the pressure off the throttle, it immediately went back to missing.

Swapped coils and still on 1st (top cylinder) missing at high speed unless I hold light pressure on throttle.

Quite baffled right now :confused:. Hopefully someone else has seen this. So close on this its driving me nuts.

Looking forward to your input!

Mike

Last edited:
Does the armature plate have play to it, that is a wobble up/down motion. If so, that could (and usually does) cause the point setting to change as the armature plate turns when applying throttle. THe cure would be to either replace the plate and ring (expensive if still available) or correct the wobble as follows:

(Magneto Armature Plate)
(J. Reeves)

If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.

The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible. Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make a slight indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions. Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.

You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort.

Use a small amount of anti corrosive grease between the aluminum ring and the brass support plate and also on the brass bushing of the armature plate when all is well.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back