Logo

5hp 2 stroke issues :(

PiDGE

Crap deal for me. I've got a new problem now. Had the boat out on the weekend. Friday night motor was running fine. Would run full out, no problems. Went out Saturday morning and when in foward or reverse I'd give it maybe 1/16, 1/8 throttle and it would bog and stall. Got it home Sunday and hooked it up to the garden hose and same thing. I'm mechanically inclined, but haven't worked on something with a carb before. Serching has brought me to soaking the carb. Is this a specific cleaner or dose seafoam work perhaps? Thanks.
Pidge.

I should add, I just took the carb off the motor to see if there is a clog noticeable, but I didn't notice anything. One thing I will say is that my fingers were sticky due to the fuel getting on them. Anyone know if fuel is usually like this or is this a sign of the "gummy fuel"? I'll add to that it had a lime colour to it on a paper towel. I'm pretty sure fuel when I pump it is a blueish colour and then gets darker as I add the 2 stroke oil so I'm not sure if this is normal or what? Also...after Friday nights fishing I left thee fuel cock open and had the motor tipped fully up to avoid the bottom. Thanks.

Pidge.

Seafoam shouldn't hurt, but probably won't help, either.

The fuel should not be sticky; definitely bad gas; dump the gas, wash all of it out of all the fuel system, and see if that helps. While you have the carb off and apart, give it a 4+ hour soak in carb dip.

If you tilt the motor with the fuel cock on, you may drip it all out of the carb.

Thanks Paul for the gas description. Is that what "gummy gas" is? I kinda figured something was up with how it felt. Will do with the carb dip to free it up. Do you know of any part(s) that shouldn't go into the cleaner? I removed the jet and the bowl the other day, could you recommended any other parts I should remove or have removed before I dip it? I forget the name of that tiny black box the fuel line goes into, is that safe to put in the dip? Thanks once again.

Pidge.

Do a complete disassembly of all parts of the carb. Everything except rubber can go in the dip. The box on the side of the carb is the fuel pump; the diaphragms in it must be checked (and definitely not dipped), and possibly replaced, depending on their condition. All those bits come in the carb kit. If the fuel in the tank is OK and there is gumminess at the carb, something is deteriorating in the fuel system and contaminating the fuel. That could be a hose, primer bulb, pump diaphragm, etc, but it needs to be corrected.

Hmmmm ok Paul. The fuel was new. Now I gotta senerior for you. (I'm the fella who ordered the tank from you last week) could the JB weld that is currently peeling away from my gas tank cause this do you think? I drilled a hole to stop the crack in the tank and I wonder if there's now JB weld mixing with the gas causing this?? By the way whats in a carb kit anyways? I assume I can order from you again? Thanks.

Pidge.

edit: are you up in Ontario again anytime soon to take this motor to your shop? If you don't mind send me a PM if its better.

I'm vacationing in Wilson NY(sailing, of course)... but the wifi at the club is working well :)
Yes, any uncured epoxies could have blended in with the fuel...
The carb kit for the 2-stk 5/8 hp models has the fuel pump diaphragms, bowl gasket, float and needle, etc., plus sundry rubber bits and screws...
If you really need to bring it into the shop, you could theoretically bring it to Tuscarora YC in Wilson... I'm here every Saturday for sure. Any steward could direct you to my boat if it's here... 716-751-9975 is the club phone...

Back