Logo

1978 chrysler outboard, what sealants to use to put engine back

comet424

Regular Contributor
hi
I have the topic about my 1978 115 hp engine, well I waiting for the book or I buying it online. but my question is

what solvents to use

I went to the machine shop and they told me to use on the 2 halves Permatex Moto Seal 1. gasket maker to put the 2 halves together

and for the top bearing and the bottom bushing that holds the crank seal they said to use

Permatex Analerobic Flange Sealant. goes up to 300F and also to use it on the bolts that are in the case. are they right

and they already told me they just used permatex since they and Lockite are the same company just slap a different name on the bottle. machine shop even said to use just Red Locktite on the bushing at the bottom to keep the oil and gas out but he doesn't work on outboards so he guessed

what you guys using

I use the black sillycone on the spaghetti seal and the top and lower bearing seals.
I use the permatex for the crankcase bolts .
The head bolts I use grease.
The black sillycone(use LOTS) is also used for the bottom seal between the adaptor/ spacer plate and the motor leg.
BE VERY CAREFUL TO MAKE SURE THE LOCATING PINS ARE IN THE HOLES ON THE BEARINGS WHEN INSTALLING THE CRANK.
You can smush them and deform the pins and putting in new is a B*&^%H!!!
Fill out the profile, location. I think you listed where you live someone may be close to help. Bring it by and we'll put it back together and go fishing. :)
You get a new seal and bearing?

I use the black sillycone on the spaghetti seal and the top and lower bearing seals.
I use the permatex for the crankcase bolts .
The head bolts I use grease.
The black sillycone(use LOTS) is also used for the bottom seal between the adaptor/ spacer plate and the motor leg.
BE VERY CAREFUL TO MAKE SURE THE LOCATING PINS ARE IN THE HOLES ON THE BEARINGS WHEN INSTALLING THE CRANK.
You can smush them and deform the pins and putting in new is a B*&^%H!!!
Fill out the profile, location. I think you listed where you live someone may be close to help. Bring it by and we'll put it back together and go fishing. :)
You get a new seal and bearing?

hi im located near Peterborough Ontario Canada small town called hastings

which black sillycone is that

and no didn't replace the bearing is its fine just the seal I needed to replace

so you used silicone for the plate spacer I have a new seal for it

but what did u use to seal the lower crank bushing in place as it had red type glue in it, that's the bushing to hold the bearing and seal in place, as its a metal to metal anmd cant have gasket in there

I still waiting for new kit set for the seals so I can lay new spaggettie in there

as for the case bolts that's the small oens u just used locktite I take it blue?

and the case base just grease inside, and they talk about remember the bolts the lengths I forgot which ones were longer do you rememeber which ones? as they fell out

also reading the permatex anaerobic flange seal they talk about using a Surface prep spray by permatex to get the sleant to harden and fill gaps down to 0.05" do I need this prep spray?

hi im located near Peterborough Ontario Canada small town called hastings

which black sillycone is that "Permatex Black Silicone"

and no didn't replace the bearing is its fine just the seal I needed to replace

so you used silicone for the plate spacer I have a new seal for it." No under that plate where it meets the lower housing"

but what did u use to seal the lower crank bushing in place as it had red type glue in it, that's the bushing to hold the bearing and seal in place, as its a metal to metal anmd cant have gasket in there" Again Black Permatex"

I still waiting for new kit set for the seals so I can lay new spaggettie in there "Install the spaghetti and fill in the corners and along the spaghetti string"

as for the case bolts that's the small oens u just used locktite I take it blue?" Either will work"

and the case base just grease inside, and they talk about remember the bolts the lengths I forgot which ones were longer do you rememeber which ones? as they fell out
"NO"

Yes use any thing that will help seal the leaks.
I've found that the adaptor plate and the lower housing is the hardest place to seal as there isn't a gasket there. I fill it with a LOT of silicone and hope it doesn't leak.

I use the black because the blue/ orange looks ridiculous when it squeezes out.

"NO"

Yes use any thing that will help seal the leaks.
I've found that the adaptor plate and the lower housing is the hardest place to seal as there isn't a gasket there. I fill it with a LOT of silicone and hope it doesn't leak.

I use the black because the blue/ orange looks ridiculous when it squeezes out.

so the lower crank bushing and the top crank bearing you fill that with silicone? and not arabroic flange sealant then?
as that is what I bought for it

but do you need the surface prep spray to increase drying time make it hard and fill in gaps up to 0.05"

also do you put some selant on the spaggetti seal?

and what are the torque values for this engine for the bolts

mike

(so the lower crank bushing and the top crank bearing you fill that with silicone? and not arabroic flange sealant then?
as that is what I bought for it) you can use the arabroic if you want I and the factory used silicone.
(but do you need the surface prep spray to increase drying time make it hard and fill in gaps up to 0.05" ) NO.

(also do you put some sealant on the spaghetti seal?) Yes.
I'll have to get the manual out and get a pic of the torques.
Send me a PM with your e-mail. Easier to send an e-mail than getting a pic on here you can see.

ok thanks

I did PM you last week too or week before I had questions I think I posted my email in it

but I posted my email with topic saying MY Email

oh I cant get the factory stuff, so ill use flange sealant for the bearing and bottom

Perematex and machine shop said used MotoSeal for the 2 haves do you put it in the grove or just over top of the seal?

or do u put some flange sealan in the groove and push the spaggettie in

I'm saying the factory uses Permatex like I do.
Can be bought at any auto parts even wally world.
The pic shows just hit on the link.

Attachments

• permatex.jpg
    permatex.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 42
I'm saying the factory uses Permatex like I do.
Can be bought at any auto parts even wally world.
The pic shows just hit on the link.

oh ok I contacted Pemeatex and they said use the Aviation 3 selant I said I cant get that one for bolts

so for the casing they said use MotoSeal I guess Anabroic sealant for the bushing and the top bearing and then they recommended #2 form a gasket for the bolts

least that's the email I got yesterday

Like I said the only thing you really need is the spaghetti seal and the black silicone.
Clean out the threads and the bolts.
Get all the sillycone and sealer out.
If you don't the torques won't be right.

Back