Logo

Prop Question e50belcde

bmdakk

Ok I am gonna be replacing my prop on my 50 hp. when I went to look and see what size it was I noticed a little bit of play in and out, only like a 16th of an inch if that. When I pull on it it goes in and out. Is this normal or are the thrust washer worn out. Just like to know before I go buy a new prop. The prop has a blade slightly bent and has some nicks in it, and I am getting cavitation while going straight Thanks.

Perfectly normal. However to ease your mind and verify nothing is going kaflooey inside, check the gear oil, looking for metal shavings or grit.

For the members that might be wondering..............

The sometimes build up of a fuzzy metalic substance on the magnet of the drain plug, actually extremely small metal particles shed by various lower unit components and deposited on that magnet, is normal, nothing to be concerned about. A buildup that can be rubbed between your fingers without breaking the skin.

Splintery needle looking pieces, small sharp edged chunks of metal... those are the tell tale signs of a lower unit failure in progress or an already happening.

Back