Logo

86 force 85 hp new shifting problem

Hello again
Ok back story i was having a problem with a clunking noise under a load. ( clutch dogs or shift adjustment). I adjusted the bolt under the bottom carb up so the shift rod would fully engage and the clunking noise has stoped. I also installed a new throttle cable. Now I have a dead spot in my remote controls. Fw will engage as it should. But not until the control is 1/2 way will it actually move the boat. And reverse will not engage unless I remove the shift lever and reinstall it pushed fw to give more room to get into reverse and then it wide open in rev. I have a manual and it says to have 3/16 of the threds protruding from the the remote end of the cable witch I have done. It does not have an adjustment listed from the motor end but I have tried screwing the cable thred in and out but the throttle tower does not move until the control is at 1/2 past forward. What is my next move or should I stop sinking money into a lost cause. Thanks in advance.

Throttle cable? Sounds like you should have changed the shift cable too.
The only time the nut under the carbs adjusted is if someone put too much pressure on the system and screwed up the cable or shifter.

Back