Logo

1986 Cris Craft Scorpion 187(Carb issue?)

homerl

Regular Contributor
Had some flooding I believe yesterday.Thought maybe clogged fuel screen.This is a Chevy 305ci motor.Took screen off from side of carb,filter clean.Wanted to bog when fuel was given.Rpm's were not very high when I could get it to somewhat go.Noticed a red wire off at the choke adjuster.Put it back on and used a tie strap to keep it on (in driveway).Haven't tested again yet.Anyone know what the red wire does?,and there was a black wire screwed in just above in the same area.Thank you for any help you can offer.

Had some flooding I believe yesterday.Thought maybe clogged fuel screen.This is a Chevy 305ci motor.Took screen off from side of carb,filter clean.Wanted to bog when fuel was given.Rpm's were not very high when I could get it to somewhat go.Noticed a red wire off at the choke adjuster.Put it back on and used a tie strap to keep it on (in driveway).Haven't tested again yet.Anyone know what the red wire does?,and there was a black wire screwed in just above in the same area.Thank you for any help you can offer.
Sounds like the source 12v voltage for your choke, and the black wire that's screwed in would be the ground. If this 12v source wire isn't connected to the choke t-stat, then your choke is remaining closed, which would cause a very rich condition.

Thanks for the info.It would back fire and bog down,could smell gas at times.Makes sense.

Ayuh,.... Probably time to rebuild, or possibly replace the Carb,....

A Backfire is a Lean condition, 'n of course, Floodin' is a Rich condition,...
Lotsa Bad goin' on there,....

Back