Logo

5Hp Tohatsu 2 stroke rough running

tcsail

Amazing what a 4hour soak in carb solvent will do for rough running engines. Carb spray will not clean inner jets and ports if they are gummy. Take the time, disassemble the carb, remove rubber gaskets and plugs, soak for 4 hr plus, spray off with carb cleaner, reassemble and enjoy your engine. Don't forget to check the needles for wear, float height and replace gaskets

Hey Tcsail I'm in the middle of the bush on a solo camping/fishing trip and I'm having a hell of a time getting this 5hp 2 stroke to play nice. Can pull it and it idles and revs fine, but in gear she just stops dead. Is this a sign of a dirty carb? Last night I was bombing around in the boat and this morning and afternoon nothing in foward or reverse. I did check the plug with little tools i have on hand and cleaned the plug. Like i said she revs fine in netural. Feesh gas 87 octane. Could that be a problem with the 87? I probably pull the carb, but rather no here in the woods. Thanks
Pidge.

Not much you can do out in the sticks other than drain the carb, blow out the fuel lines and clean the plug. Hope you brought a paddle. Clean the carb well on a workbench so you don't lose any parts. Good Luck.

Back