Logo

Chrysler fuel pump for 318

Trojanman007

I have a weak (yet functional) fuel pump on my 1980 chrysler 318. I looked into replacing it,but was told they no longer exist.

Is it possible to take an automotive pump and add a hose barb for the fuel spit on the side of the pump? I believe this is the only difference
between marine and automotive.

The old Carter mechanical pumps are obsolete. I don't care for the marine replacements because the inlet port is fixed and you can't rebuild them. Here's what I did and then should have done. So I bought a Holley automotive pump for my LM318. Nice pump! Should be for $125. Little did I know the cutout pressure on that pump is set from 6.5 to 8.5 PSI. I have the new Edelbrock 1409's installed and they require 6 psi max fuel pressure. Flooded my carb first time I used that pump. Two choices at this point, either plumb in a regulator or buy the Edelbrock pump preset to 6 PSI. I just ordered the Edelbrock because it makes more sense. To answer your original question yes you can use automotive style pumps. I took the Holley 12-360-11 and drilled a small hole on the upper housing. There's a round flat spot on one side where you drill it out. I took a spare carb metal tube and pressed it in the hole. All you have to do now is hook a rubber hose from that fitting back to the carb. WaLa you're done.

Cheers

Russ

I have to replace my fuel pump also and mine does not have that tube you speak about I see it on the web but my question is where & how does it hook to the carburetor. Thanks bob

I am getting ready to order a pump and some have that tube & some do not why and can I use one that does not have the tube, it says for Chrysler inboards. Thanks Bob

Yes Bob you can use the mechanical fuel pump without the tube, but I would suggest that you don't use it unless you modify it. To be Coast Guard compliant you have to have that tube installed so if your diaphragm between the air/fuel chamber ruptures the fuel will go back into the carb not your bilge.

Russ

I've drilled the dimple out on automotive pumps and epoxied the tube in. Easy to do. (There's a 'dimple' in the body where you drill it.) Just aim it out of the way of the bolts.

Jeff

Back