Logo

Need year hiawatha 5hp, model 350mi25-7973b, serial 481485

JB2014

JUST GOT IT, WHAT YEAR IS IT?, GAS & OIL RATIO? USING TODAY'S 2-CYCLE OIL - ON MOTOR SAYS 1/2 Pt SAE 30 @ GALLON. WHICH IS BEST OIL TO USE? CAN I DOWNLOAD A MANUAL SOMEWHERE? THANKS MUCH. RETIRED.

JUST GOT IT, WHAT YEAR IS IT?, GAS & OIL RATIO? USING TODAY'S 2-CYCLE OIL - ON MOTOR SAYS 1/2 Pt SAE 30 @ GALLON. WHICH IS BEST OIL TO USE? CAN I DOWNLOAD A MANUAL SOMEWHERE? THANKS MUCH. RETIRED.
It would be a 1955, in 1956 Scott started making the Hiawatha and has different model number sequence. I HIGHLY recommend that you run the 16:1 oil ratio. I have one of these outboards that my father bought in 1955 and that is what I run in it now. I use Pennzoil 2-cycle marine and have trolled for hours without fouling the plugs. These engines are designed for heavy lubrication and anything with a higher ratio will lead to overheating and damage. Replacement parts for these motors are hard to come by, don't risk damage. Run 100% gasoline. The float in the carburetor is coated with shellac, ethanol will dissolve this shellac causing gumming of the jet and float failure. Always run the carburetor dry before storage by closing the needle valve below the air-fuel mixture knob and allow the engine to die. By following these few simple rules, this motor has run every year for 60 years.

Back