Logo

95 BF2A leaking liquid at high rpm's

philliph

Hey guys, i recently starting working on my dads 95 Honda 2hp 4-stroke that had been sitting around for a while and wouldn't start. I thought it was most likely the carburetor so I took it about and replaced the corroded float reservoir. I put it back together and tried to test it out in a trash can full of water. I added a bottle of oil because no oil was showing in the sight window. After that I started it up and it worked and sounded fine. I began to open up the throttle to test it at higher rpm's. I then noticed that all of a sudden a golden colored oil like substance began spewing out from up and under the case. I shut off the engine and felt the liquid. It had the viscosity of oil but smelled strong like gasoline. So I broke it down again thinking there might be a crack in the metal housing of the engine. I then found that there was actually a rubber tube coming out of the metal housing that was the source of this spewing liquid at higher rpm's. I also noticed that their is no water coming out of the pee hole either. Can anyone shed some light on what this tube is and what that liquid might be. Thanks guys, im stuck.

This is just a guess but the tube is probably part of the engine's crankcase ventilation system. Since it hasn't been used in a while, it could have a stuck ring allowing too much combustion gas to enter the crankcase and blowing oil out of the sump. You may be able to unstick it by just running the engine but usually it takes running some chemical, like Sea Foam, directly in the intake. Sometimes that doesn't do the trick either and a teardown is in order.
Try removing the spark plug and spray a bunch of PB Blaster in the cylinder. Leave the plug out and wait two days. Drain the engine oil and put in fresh. With the spark plug still out, pull the engine over several times to clear the cylinder. Installl the plug and run the engine, making sure it isn't overheating.That MIGHT unstick the oil ring.

If you go to www.boats.net.com and click on Honda outboard parts, then pre 1997 there is a list that stars with BF 2 A. Look under the "cylinder barrel heading and you will see the psrts associated with the crankcase breather. I believe that there is a filter in there that may need cleaning. It could be that rather than a stuck ring causing the oil to come out.
Good luck

Also, oil level could be too high. These older ones have a site glass and a dip stick. The owner's manual is very confusing and I have seen several come in with too much oil. I would make sure you have the oil level in the site glass about 1/2 way up. The newer ones are in the lower third.

Also, the motor could have put down on the wrong side. Oil will leak into the cylinder and sometimes all over the place.

Not knowing your serial number, I can not say for sure about the oil level.

Download the owner's manual that matches your serial number. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF2

As for the water indicator. Since it has been sitting, the impeller could be bad (if it is of the vintage I think) or some little critters have built a nest in the outlet hole. You can take some compressed air and blow back through it to clear it. You may have to do it when the motor is running in water.

Mike

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. One other piece of information that might help explain is that when I added the oil I had the motor laying down on the ground. It was on the correct side, but could adding oil when the motor is laying on its side be the reason oil is coming out the breather tube?

It is possible.

If the oil is at the proper level and oil got in the breather, then over time the "leak" may go away.

Mike

Back