Logo

Hello Everyone 2008 150hp 200HRS

grmaro

Contributing Member
Hello I'm having I hope a simple problem I changed my engine oil and filter, lower unit oil, and I have changed my 10 micron filter coming from my fuel tank a 100HR service so went for a test ride about an 2 hour plus, idle 1/2HR no wake zones, wide open 10mins 5600RPM'S back to idle 1/2 hour no wake zone than up to 4300Hundred RPM engine ran find coming back inlet everything good had to through a no wake zone than back to a wide open area here's the problem the engine would not go over 4000RPMS plus would surge I a am lost on what to do it runs fine as long I stay below 3500RPMS I did change the 10 micron filter thinking water but found none! I have 4 lites on my key switch no warning or buzzers
PLEASE ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED
Greg

Did it run ok before your oil change?

Have you checked your oil level? It should be about 1/4 " below the full mark.

Are your warning lights working? Do they all come on for 2 seconds when you turn the key to on? Does the audible alarm sound for the 2 seconds?

You said you had no warning lights....was your oil light on when this happened? It is normally on, when the motor is running and the oil pressure is good.

If you have overfilled your oil, you could have fouled one or more of the spark plugs and lost a cylinder or two. If it is too high, pull your spark plugs and look at them. See if any of them look different from the others.

On the other hand, if you did not overfill the oil but your thermostats are stuck open, the engine will not burn the fuel completely and the unburnt fuel can leak past the rings in
to the crankcase....raising the oil level to overfull.

Normally, compression, spark, and fuel pressure (as the motor is failing) are checked. I sense that you do not have that capability.

So...do I know the answer to the problem? No. We have to keep checking the symptoms and checking things.

Mike

Hello Mike (hondadude)
Thanks for helping me! Yes it did run before ok before oil change I have the Honda shop manual it states 7qts with filter which I did I will check oil level tomorrow I can check compression fuel pressure no I will check to see if all warning lights are working I do know that the green light was on I will check many things tomorrow and post my findings
THANKS AGAIN
Greg

Look at everything you touched doing the oil and filter change. Do you have the correct Honda oil filter?

Just some other things to check.

Mike

Probably a stupid question but...Mike, when did they start putting 7 quart oil sumps on these outboards? I know it's a good idea and all but maybe they should get the oil manufacturers to start "enlarging" the "gallon +1" bottles that they sell now.

Hello Mike (hondadude)
Thanks Again So here is where I am at pull the plugs look good not fouled or warn 70HRS on plugs checked compression 200 on all cylinders cleaned the water separator new o-ring than changed low pressure filter new o-ring than changed high pressure new o-ring changed filter between fuel tank and engine found no water but the low and high pressure filters very dirty. than check ignition panel all lights light and the panel beeps 2 times than I start the engine 3 red Lts went out green Lt stayed on I believe the oil light engine started ran fine than checked oil it was 1/4 inch below top mark. I'm going to change thermostat's tomorrow , water test Monday
Again Thank you Always had inboards 25yrs this my first outboard.
Sincerely
Greg

Chawk,

I was just seeing if you were paying attention. LOL

8.2 is correct. I was just doing a quick copy out of the Honda Spec Book, which is incorrect...although the footnote does say "for dry engine....and to see the specific manual for each motor). Checking the manuals for the 225...all say 8.2. Sorry.

grmaro,

I case you do not know, there are two different thermostats in the 150. Be sure to put the correct value thermostats in the appropriate places. The lower temperature stat goes in the head.

Mike

Hello Skooter
I changed a filter that is accessible from the top of the tank in front 3 Philips screw its the high pressure filter according to Honda shop manual that must be what you mean I hope can't find any other's .
Sincerely
Greg

Hello Mike (hondadude)
Thanks Mike notice that in the shop manual cylinder block thermostat has 3 grooves and the cylinder head 2 grooves two different temp's
Sincerely
Greg

Mike (hondadude)
Well took ride Monday after changing all fuel filter's , thermostat's ,oil level engine still doing the same will not go over 4200rpm's and pulses any more thought's on where to go next? Sunday I'm to test the high-pressure fuel pump at idle and under load through the rpm-range, a friend has the tool.
Thanks
Sincerely
Greg

Back