Logo

1997 75HP Force Model ELPT Question

ko4nrbs

Regular Contributor
Today I noticed if I go from neutral to reverse and turn the prop by hand counterclockwise it feels like a spring is wound up and then I hear kinda of a snap. It then turns fine and forward works well.

Is this normal.
Bill

I have the same exact motor. The linkage is kind of tricky on mine. The only time I have really noticed a snap is if I force it the wrong direction and it jumps. When I have adjusted mine before I just turn the prop while rotating the linkage nut. When I feel it try to engage I stop and then I turn the nut the opposite direction and count the number of turns until it tries to engage again and I spit the difference. If it is clicking into gear solidly I probably would leave it alone. Hope this helps a little.

I asked a local mechanic and he said it was normal. It shifts fine.

Before I disconnected the shift linkage I measured the area from the bottom linkage rod shoulder to the bottom of the connector that threads the two rods together (5/8"). Just made sure I kept that dimension when I reconnected it.

I like mine quite a bit. I bought it in 2008 with few hours on it and it runs great. No problems to date. Just did a second water pump replacement this week.
Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
Back