Logo

Intermittant stalling

steve_t

I am having intermittent stalling problems with my 1991 15 hp Evinrude model E15EEIA. I have changed plugs, fuel pump, the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb, vacuum line, and fuel tank. I have also added a fuel filter to the fuel line. The stalling happens on both a warm or cold engine. The engine may run fine for hours then stall or it may run for 5 minutes then stall. Stalls at low speeds and moderate speeds, I have not experienced the problem at wide open throttle however I do not run it wide open often. Once the engines stalls it is usually difficult to restart however it generally will start after enough cranking. When it stalls the prime bulb is still rather firm but not hard. Other than the stalling the engine runs well. Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

You would start with a compression test.-------Also do a spark intensity check.---That means you need to know how big a gap that the spark will jump.---Set up a gap of 7/16" or more.--Laying the plugs on the block is NOT a proper test.

You would start with a compression test.-------Also do a spark intensity check.---That means you need to know how big a gap that the spark will jump.---Set up a gap of 7/16" or more.--Laying the plugs on the block is NOT a proper test.

Compression test have been done by a mechanic who said it was fine (sorry I didn't mention that originally). I will get a spark tester and try that next.

Thanks

Steve

Most fuel primer bulbs end up laying in a horizontal position. As such, when the engine's running, the fuel level in the bulb willl drop down to the halfway level.... Normal, the nature of the beast so to speak.

Does pumping the fuel primer bulb every so often (acting as a manual fuel pump) have any effect on the stalling problem?

Not that I can tell. I've tried priming right when it starts to stall but no effect. I have also primed it after a stall and had it stall shortly afterward.

Thanks
Steve

Although I don't think this was the problem, late last night I found two bare spots on the wire leading from the CD to the top coil. I will take it out again tonight to see if that fix helps.

Bare spots on a wire... Good Eye! Hope it cures your problem.

If not, check the outgoing valve in the fuel primer bulb (unless you've already changed the bulb). That valve can come apart, have the inner portion reverse itself, then get drawn back into its shell which effectively creates a shut off valve.

Had it out trolling for 3 hours last night with out any stalling problems. I think I can mark this as done and move on to other issues I have with this motor. :)

Thanks

Steve

Back