Logo

BF150 cowling seal

triumphrick

I have a pair of BF150's on my boat and have noticed the rubberized seals at the bottom of the cowlings are rusty in a couple of areas. These are the seals that are attached to the cowling.

Are these available separately, or part of the cowling?

Hi triumphrick,

You can buy them separately. Item #2 in the link below. There are two schools of thought when replacing them. Originals are put on with little to no adhesive. That makes getting them off and replacing them fairly easy. But, getting the new ones to STAY put requires a bit of patience and luck. I choose to "GLUE EM SOLID". A heat gun will help when trying to fit them up but you have to be VERY careful not to overheat and distort them.

Good luck.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2005/BF150A5 XA/ENGINE COVER ASSY/parts.html

If they're like the ones on my 01 BF115 were, the secret to getting them to stay was to, after getting the whole thing in place, go around it with the palm of your hand bearing down as hard as you can. It has to jam down in the channel really deep so the "latch" on the rubber hooks into the corresponding slot at the bottom of the channel. Once you press it down really hard in one spot it'll become obvious what happened and where it's still "unlatched".

I just monkeyed with mine last week. I have two BF150's and the port rear latch was never grabbing the cowling. All I did was remove the outermost molding and it became obvious the latch cable may have shrunk a tad. So, a small open hand wrench and within seconds of adjusting the length if the cable, the catch opens fully now and no more leaking. Entire project took 35 min. Lube to death and done.

If they're like the ones on my 01 BF115 were, the secret to getting them to stay was to, after getting the whole thing in place, go around it with the palm of your hand bearing down as hard as you can. It has to jam down in the channel really deep so the "latch" on the rubber hooks into the corresponding slot at the bottom of the channel. Once you press it down really hard in one spot it'll become obvious what happened and where it's still "unlatched".

Thanks for the tip...the old ones were not glued into place and I as not looking forward to using 4200 on the gaskets to seal them.

By laying the cowling on a blanket and pressing down hard, I was able to get the seal to attach very well.

Looks good and being more pliable than the old ones, they make a good tight seal to the motor.

Back