Logo

Force 125 won't start unless manually holding throttle linkage

MinnesotaLakes

I have a force 1989 Force 125 Inboard/Ouboard.

It will only start or idle if I manually move the throttle by a very small amount.

Such a small amount in fact, that if I shove a playing card in the space between the Cam Throttle and the screw at the end of the linkage, it will start and stay running.

Sorry for the poor description. I hope I'm using the correct terms :) I have attached a picture with the area circled in yellow.

When I have the throttle open a little, it starts immediately, without any issues and sounds great.

I can actually manually rev the throttle and it still sounds good, I just cannot get it to start as is.

It is worth metioning that it has sat in storage for 4-5 years without starting, and ran fine when it was put away.

All the old gas evaporated, so I'm wondering if a good place to start is cleaning the carbs?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,boat1.jpg

You should probably post this in the Chrysler Force Outboard forum for the engine issue.

Surely the carbs need a good cleanout. Fuel tank and all lines also. That's where I'd start.

You should probably post this in the Chrysler Force Outboard forum for the engine issue.

Surely the carbs need a good cleanout. Fuel tank and all lines also. That's where I'd start.

Sorry about that. It is not an outboard motor - the engine is definitely in an engine compartment and not attached to the transom. Is the Chrysler Force Outboard Forum still the correct location?

Ayuh,.... You have one of the dreaded L-drives,.... An outboard motor powerhead connected to an L-drive,...

For powerhead answers, used the outboard forum,....
For drive questions, yer pretty much outa luck,...
There's absolutely No parts for 'em, 'n very little advice, other than Sell it, Quick,...

Back