Logo

5.7 Mercruiser High RPM Overheating - Help!

mceagle

Greetings, Members! There are several posts regarding this topic, but wanted to do a refresh and ask for everyone’s help – I am at a loss at the moment.
Equipment: 1984 Sea Ray Monaco (purchased from the original owner in 1990); Mercruiser 5.7, serial number 6732604 – with Alpha I outdrive. Raw Water cooling system. Environment: Fresh water only – never in saltwater.
Symptoms - Beginning at the end of last year’s boating season here in Middle Tennessee, the engine temperature at the gauge would rise to just under “hot” at an estimated 3000 rpm (sorry, the tach is in-op). Any speed above a “slow plane” and the temp would head to hot. Backing off on the throttle and the temp would quickly decline to “normal” (Note: my temp gauge is marked in four sections: “C”| | (normal range)| | hot – My normal operating temp has always been slightly below or at the second “|”)
Attempted Repairs: Although I replaced the complete water pump in the spring of 2013, I suspected a problem with the pump and just kept it slow for the remainder of the season. This spring, I pulled the boat out for season make-ready maintenance which includes pulling the entire drive, checking for evidence of seal failure, check engine alignment, grease u-joints and replace the complete water pump assembly. Breakdown and inspection of the water pump revealed no vane damage or clogs. I replaced the complete water pump, back-flushed from the power steering cooler (replaced 2012) back, checked the tube / hose from the bell housing to the transom for cracks, clogs and damage – all appeared to be OK. I also made sure that the drive to bell housing “O” ring was in place at tear down and replaced (I use a touch of bellows cement to keep it in place for re-assembly. I also read somewhere that if the ignition timing was off, that too could contribute to the problem so I checked the timing which was OK and to spec. Took it to the lake – No change, pulled it out and brought it back home.
From other research, I decided to check the manifolds and risers. I was so confident that this was the cause that I bought new ones. I pulled both risers and one (port side) manifold and was amazed to find just a little rust, no scale and clear passages. I loaded up the parts that I pulled off and headed to the oldest Mercruiser dealer in Nashville. The mechanic (20+ years at the same dealership) inspected the parts and said “that’s not your problem - these are in great shape” and told me to drop in a new (140degree) thermostat and check the hoses, pick-up etc for obstructions. Also suggested that I pull the water supply hose, while in the lake and look for good flow, “head pressure” as he called it.
So while I had the darn thing torn down, I checked the condition of the flappers, they were only three years old, in good shape but replaced them anyway and looked into the “Y”pipe as far as I could for obstruction then flushed it with a garden hose. There was no water back-up, so I decided all was OK. Using new gaskets, I reinstalled the old manifold and risers and dropped in a new thermostat from the dealer. I attached a garden hose to the fresh water inlet hose (connects to thethermostat housing) and applied some pressure and looked for evidence of water seepage at the inlet tube at the transom – nothing found – everything stayed dry, so I headed to the lake. – No change other than the idle and slow operating temp is now slightly above the second |.
Pulled the inlet hose, started the engine – Appears to be a full flow at idle and a considerable increase at a higher RPM. At a slow cruise, temps (not at the overheat condition) using an I.R. temp gun:Thermostat housing top 142; circulation pump – top, starboard side 150; intake manifold, starboard, slightly to the rear of and below carb 180; port manifold 120, riser 119; Starboard - Manifold and riser 130.
Other: Replaced circulation pump approx 3-4 years ago. No indication of leaks or bearing / seal failure.
That’s my story - Please, please, please HELP!!! Thanks!!

I would try running without thermostat. I would also try unscrew water drain one turn on exhaust manifold or just enough to observe pressure against RPM.

Never run without a t-stat you will fill your engine with condensation.

Pull the lower unit and replace the complete water pump, top and bottom. DO NOT USE AN AFTERMARKET PUMP. If the pump lower is bad it will create air in the cooling water. If the pump is aftermarket, there is a chance the impeller is slipping on the hub. If the whole pump was already replaced I would still remove the lower and check the installation.

If the gasket for the lower was put in backwards it will cause your problem.

This is where I would start.

I would try running without thermostat.
Please do not do this. Bad Ju Ju!
Find out what is not working, and correct it.

I also read somewhere that if the ignition timing was off, that too could contribute to the problem so I checked the timing which was OK and to spec.
Checking BASE or Initial is just that...... BASE advance.
BASE advance will not cause any higher RPM over-heating issues.
You'll want to look at the progressive advance and at the total advance.
This is what must be within specs.

If excessive..... the engine may suffer from detonation.
Beginning detonation may cause excessive cylinder temperatures, and eventually serious engine damage.

To look at your progressive and/or TA.... it must be done dynamically.

Last edited:
You mentioned that you replaced the water pump, I take it you are referring to the seawater pump in the drive, if so, have you checked the circulation pump on the engine, with a 30 yr old motor you could have a problem here, if the impellor is rusted away then you won't have any decent crculation in the block and heads.

Before replacing any more parts in the outdrive, pull the temp sender out of the motor,

put in a pot of water on the stove burner, attach meter leads to it, red to center stud and black to threads of sender.

put meter on low ohms scale 1000 ohms or less.

turn on oven burner and allow cold water to heat up and watch meter. The ohms change should be steady and gradual.

if it gets to a certain level and then jumps 10-30 ohms or more the sender is bad.

This will give you a temp guage reading of higher than normal when in reality it is not. Seen this before!!

Other issues would be restriction at water intake on lower unit, bad seal between large rubber oring on top of water pump housing, Above water pump where the copper tube connect to a plastic part, there may be a restriction there, remove the copper tube, look up with a flash light and see if the small rubber boot is there and has not been dislodged or has been pushed up into plastic housing (seen this many times)

When you remove the incomming water hose to watch water flow to motor from outdrive there are two issues to look for.
1. good volume

2. little to NO air bubbles.

Air bubbles say exhaust is getting into water stream or a leak allow air in.

low volume is a restriction.

"Thermostat housing top 142; circulation pump – top, starboard side 150; intake manifold, starboard, slightly to the rear of and below carb 180; port manifold 120, riser 119; Starboard - Manifold and riser 130"

These temperature numbers are not high. What makes you think you have a problem?

Pull the lower unit and replace the complete water pump, top and bottom. DO NOT USE AN AFTERMARKET PUMP. If the pump lower is bad it will create air in the cooling water. If the pump is aftermarket, there is a chance the impeller is slipping on the hub. If the whole pump was already replaced I would still remove the lower and check the installation.

Thanks, Chris! Indeed, I always replace the complete water pump - bottom, top, impeller gaskets, etc. Only genuine Merc parts. What's the saying? Penny wise and pound foolish? Thanks very much for your reponse and ideas! I have heard of bad things happening.

Before replacing any more parts in the outdrive, pull the temp sender out of the motor,

put in a pot of water on the stove burner, attach meter leads to it, red to center stud and black to threads of sender.

turn on oven burner and allow cold water to heat up and watch meter. The ohms change should be steady and gradual.

if it gets to a certain level and then jumps 10-30 ohms or more the sender is bad.

This will give you a temp guage reading of higher than normal when in reality it is not. Seen this before!!

Other issues would be restriction at water intake on lower unit, bad seal between large rubber oring on top of water pump housing, Above water pump where the copper tube connect to a plastic part, there may be a restriction there, remove the copper tube, look up with a flash light and see if the small rubber boot is there and has not been dislodged or has been pushed up into plastic housing (seen this many times)

When you remove the incomming water hose to watch water flow to motor from outdrive there are two issues to look for.
1. good volume

Makes complte sense - Thanks. I am trying to get an idea how to gauge volume when I disconnect the hose from the thermo housing - Any guidlines or suggestion? Should have checked the copper tube and the water pocket when I have the darn thing torn down. Replaced that upper gasket a few years ago. Thanks again! Will check these items this coming weekend and advise observations.

Makes complte sense - Thanks. I am trying to get an idea how to gauge volume when I disconnect the hose from the thermo housing - Any guidlines or suggestion? Should have checked the copper tube and the water pocket when I have the darn thing torn down. Replaced that upper gasket a few years ago. Thanks again! Will check these items this coming weekend and advise observations.

I do not remember if there is a specification for water flow on a nonclosed cooling (fresh water) cooling system.

The testing I have done is to install a clear hose from the transom to the thermostat housing and observe for bubbles in the water flow.

It appears that you have a good idea of what you are doing, So please reread this!!

****Other issues would be restriction at water intake on lower unit, bad seal between large rubber oring on top of water pump housing, Above water pump where the copper tube connect to a plastic part, there may be a restriction there, remove the copper tube, look up with a flash light and see if the small rubber boot is there and has not been dislodged or has been pushed up into plastic housing (seen this many times)***

And confirm sender integritiy

As far as volume there realy is no way to see this at higher rpms as the hose would need to be disconnected from the thermo housing.

At idle and lower rpms for a moment simply observe what comes out, should be a good amount. Also this really needs to be done in the water and not on a hose.......air can be sucked in thru the ear muffs........

Photo602(1).jpg

Here was this boat owners cause for a high speed over heat. Gasket below the water pump base was upside down. He installed his own pump and swore he did it correctly.

Pull the lower and start over.

Thanks for all the great advise! My boat is docked amost 2 hours away friom my home. Any idea what size and approximate length of clear hose that I need to buy?

Thanks, Chris - Pretty sure that I installed the gaskets correctly, but I will certainly follow your advise and check again if the other stuff chaecks out

for purposes of troubleshooting it won't hurt to run your motor without a thermostat short term and then he can rule out a thermostat issue. I doubt it would run so cool as to build up condensation that quickly. On the other hand, better to just check the thermostat in a pot of boiling water.

1. good volume

Kghost - I am planning on running clear hose from the PS cooler to the themostast this weekend. I cannot find a parts diagram that gives the size ID or OD. In that I am 100mils from my boat, I cant simply measure. Any ideas? Also, are there any other hoses that I shoud replace with clear hose for this diagnostic? I also noticed that when running last weekend, the large molded hose from the circulation pump to the therm housing seemed to be very ridgid, like it was under pressue, similar to an upper radiator hose on a car. I am assuming that this is normal? Thanks for your help!

I am away from home.....only smart phone....if i am not to late 1 1/2 id ....i am not sure as I am not
Near any boats.....but that size should work and just hose clamp it tight...i would say 3-4 ft and cut to fit.

There is one thing left to do to confirm this. No mention of replacing the therm housing itself. There is a hidden passage that clogs up and cannot be cleaned.
If you have exhausted all other solutions, remove the housing and poke a 1/2 to 3/4 hole thru the inlet hose side into the large hose side

For the water pump in the lower unit, make sure the pump base gasket is sealing. Put the muffs on the lower unit and see is any water leaks before assembly. A leaking base gasket will suck hot exaust in at plane because its above water at that time.

Last edited:
Greetings! FINALLY made it to the lake with a length of 1.25 I.D. clear tubing that I ran from the power steering cooler to the thermostat housing. Obviously the issue is not obstruction but bubbles. I asked the wife to take a video with the Ipad but unfortunately, only got a photo. To summarize, at idle, no bubbles, at plane speed, (sorry, tach is broken) guessing 2000-2500 RPM, the bubbles are fast and furious. I didn't bother increasing throttle to he point tat the temp rose to hot, it thing the cause of the high RPM overheat has been discovered - now on to finding and repairing the root cause! Asking for help with a starting point and any diagnostic techniques or tricks of the trade that anyone can offer. Perhaps waste of $$, but I will replace the complete water pump and confirm / double check the gaskets and seals - Discharge tube seal / o-ring - copper water tube, pocket and gaskets - O-ring between upper drive and bell housing. My earlier attempts included a "pressure test" of the hose from the bell housing to the transom - didn't see any leaks. So, that's the plan - Any suggestions, ideas etc are sincerely appreciated!

Attachments

• Bubbles 1.jpg
    Bubbles 1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Bubbles 2.jpg
    Bubbles 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 179
Greetings! FINALLY made it to the lake with a length of 1.25 I.D. clear tubing that I ran from the power steering cooler to the thermostat housing. Obviously the issue is not obstruction but bubbles. I asked the wife to take a video with the Ipad but unfortunately, only got a photo. To summarize, at idle, no bubbles, at plane speed, (sorry, tach is broken) guessing 2000-2500 RPM, the bubbles are fast and furious. I didn't bother increasing throttle to he point tat the temp rose to hot, it thing the cause of the high RPM overheat has been discovered - now on to finding and repairing the root cause! Asking for help with a starting point and any diagnostic techniques or tricks of the trade that anyone can offer. Perhaps waste of $$, but I will replace the complete water pump and confirm / double check the gaskets and seals - Discharge tube seal / o-ring - copper water tube, pocket and gaskets - O-ring between upper drive and bell housing. My earlier attempts included a "pressure test" of the hose from the bell housing to the transom - didn't see any leaks. So, that's the plan - Any suggestions, ideas etc are sincerely appreciated!

Water pump is drawing in air. Probably just a bad water pump gasket.

Back