Logo

Evinrude Lark 3 help

Kshook5642

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 16 ft crestliner with a 1961 evinrude lark 3 40 hp motor.. Model number 35525

Brought it out to the water where she ran but eventually bogged down and shut off.. Upon restarting, I had gas spitting out of what I believe to be a vent hole.. Disconnected the fuel line and tried getting some of the gas out of the motor.. Let it still for a while and started back up and we rode a solid 25 minutes and both full throttle to slow wake zones without a problem.. Than.. Again... Bogged down and quit again..

I took the carb apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner and compressed air, upon taking the carb off it appeared to be clean before I even cleaned it. Put it back together and fired up the engine and it started up and sounded good.. No gas spitting.. Shut it off and tried a little later.. This time spitting gas out again.. When pushing the bulb of the fuel line it stays pressurized upon pumping but as we'll shoots it through the carb.. Took it apart again and got fine wire and cleaned everything again.. Started it up ran good.. Brought it to the water.. Same thing spitting gas..

What could it be? The needle was a rubber tip so I don't know if that can go bad, also float is cork so maybe the varnish is off causing the float to sink? If so, why would it allow me to run as a strong engine for a while to quit right back down? I am going crazy here to figure out what's wrong..

Thanks in advance

Personally, I would just go ahead and replace the float and float valve and be done with it. Beats tearing into that sucker time after time and still not fixed.

EDIT: Forgive me, but I gotta ask: That little clip on the float valve needle--did you stick it through the little hole in the float arm? If you did, well there ya go....

Last edited:
Model 35525 is indeed a 1961 40hp Evinrude, and as such has a brass fixed high speed jet located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the carburetor float chamber.... clean it thoroughly with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent alone just doesn't do that job properly.

The throttle butterfly should just start to open as the scribe mark on the cam aligns dead center with the carburetor throttle cam roller. The brass cam attached to the armature plate is adjustable (in/out) via a couple small retaining bolts.

Install a new float needle valve assembly. Yes, the rubber tips do score and refuse to seal properly after years of use.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Iam going To take it apart again on Saturday. Bout and received new needle and valve assembly.. Still waiting on float though... Joereeves, I believe the float needle isn't through the float hole, I will take a look at it this weekend.. Kimcrwbr1, are you talking about the brass pin hole on the manifold? I could barely see it till I zoomed in on the photo..

will keep everyone updated,
ken

Okay everybody,

the rest of the parts I ordered came today. I took apart the carb and took the float valve and float off and, honestly I cannot believe I seen it, I don't know what it was but it was the size of an eyebrow hair. I tried flushing it out and it refused to get out, so I had to grab a pair of needle nose and gently take it out, maybe a insect leg? Anyway, after that Einstein moment I switched the old for new concerning the float valve needle and float. I put it back together and it started up after a few purges, but eventually started up and didn't spit any gas out the carb.. Let it sit and wait before a restart a few times just to make sure, so far so good knock on wood..

i also ran ran some seafoam through her to clean her out a little more..

thanks everyone!

will post reply if problem persists

Okay, here we go again!

After replacing float and needle, and upon finding an ant leg or something in the valve, the boat ran flawless. No spitting gas out the carb just perfect. After a few weeks and 4 trips to the lake, the 5th time spit has right out the carb again, emptied the bowl, started back up and went crusing for a soild hour for it to throw up gas 4 miles from dock..

Now, I took the carb apart again and sprayed it with carb cleaner and visually inspected for whatever could be in their.. Put it all back together and started her up.. Ran good for 30 secs and spit right out the front again...

now instead of tapping the float side of the carb, I took a screwdriver and tapped the fuel pump and the choke housing on the side of the carb.. Turned the key and it purred like a kitten and no spitting gas!

What at could be causing this to happen? Bad vacuum? I'm not sure where to begin considering the summer isn't over and it's not time to stop going out on the weekends

any advice would help thanks!

Pretty weird happenings! Hard to say exactly what your problem might be... possibly dirt, debris, deteriortion within the fuel hose, something of that nature giving you a intermittent fit. All you can do really is to take apart what you can and clean it good... and keep that screwdriver and hammer handy.

We'll I took apart the fuel pump to find one of the metal diaphragm supports was off and bent and stuck in the bottom hole of the fuel body.. The diaphragm looks blown out to me, but was wondering if thats fine or not.. Took the support and bent it back to shape.. Put it back together and it ran without spitting gas.. Now would it be in best interest to replace said diaphragm and support ?

And yes.. When I replaced the float and needle I ran seafoam through it..

Tried uploading pictures.. will try again later

Hey everyone,

Finally got time to get back on here.

Well like I said before, here we go again! After taking apart the fuel pump I replaced the diaphragm and one of the bent spring retainers.
I took it out on Holloway Reservoir here in Michigan. The Reservoir is about 1,900 acres, cruised at least 6 miles of shoreline needless to say I went and cruised the whole perimeter of the lake and the engine purred like a kitten, no hesitation no sputtering, all while cruising. Was also ran at full throttle and had zero problems..

Cruising back, I decided to bring it to one the the sandy shorelines and relax a bit... About an hour later decided to start the boat up. Started right up and away we went.... for about 100 feet then the damn carburetor started spitting gas again! So I unhooked the fuel line and pumped the bowl out.. tapped the carb and fuel pump, started it up and she fired, so I let her run for a few secs then hook up the gas line only for within a few seconds for her to flood herself out again!?!

What am I missing!? What else could possibly be replaced to make this stop happening?

Attachments are pics of the fuel pump before new parts and where the spring retainer was stuck; new parts were bought because of same problem after the new float valve and seat for the carb!

Attachments

• IMG_20140726_134356604_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140726_134356604_HDR.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 32
  • Optimized-IMG_20140726_134403472_HDR.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20140726_134403472_HDR.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Optimized-IMG_20140726_134432699_HDR.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20140726_134432699_HDR.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back