Logo

Tohatsu 2.5 hp four-stroke off idle bog

thepitracer

I have a 2012 Tohatsu 2.5 hp four-stroke that has an off idle lean bog. The carb is clean and the engine has had this problem since it was brand new. The engine is a California model with a brass plug sealing off the pilot adjustment screw. Can I drill out and permanently remove this plug so that I can adjust the pilot screw?

There isn't a special California model. Year is irrelevant, but specific model/serial is important for servicing Tohatsu outboards. Yes, the EPA requires the plug on all those. Yes, it is possible to remove the plug; I would suggest that since you are in warranty, you have it looked at by a dealer, since adjusting the pilot requires a superb ear and a precise tachometer -- you may have a different issue. What method did you use to clean the carb?

Paul,
Like I mentioned before the engine has done it since it was brand new (first tank of fuel), but I pulled the carb apart anyways and went through it - it is totally clean so I drilled out the plug and have been adjusting the pilot screw - 100 times better now. My question now is this; The manufacturer recommends a minimum of 1200 rpm idle when in gear - do you know the optimum in-gear idle speed (i.e 1200 rpm, 1225 rpm, etc.) and optimum nuetral idle speed?
Thanks!

Although that motor can idle down slower, in order to achieve transition from N to F, you want about 1250 in gear troll speed. That's because the moving mass is so light that you need that speed to keep running when experiencing the shock of going into gear without stalling.

Paul,
Like I mentioned before the engine has done it since it was brand new (first tank of fuel), but I pulled the carb apart anyways and went through it - it is totally clean so I drilled out the plug and have been adjusting the pilot screw - 100 times better now. My question now is this; The manufacturer recommends a minimum of 1200 rpm idle when in gear - do you know the optimum in-gear idle speed (i.e 1200 rpm, 1225 rpm, etc.) and optimum nuetral idle speed?
Thanks!

Can you post pics of what you drilled out. I'm having the same issue with the same motor. Thanks

Can you post pics of what you drilled out. I'm having the same issue with the same motor. Thanks
002-21052-5_FIG04.jpg

You do realize you are replying to a 15 year old post, right? Better to start a new one.

Item 24 in the pic is the pilot screw.

Back